Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

I was getting the sound cutting out very 10-15 minutes for a few second without my Arc connected. I think this is just a Samsung sound issue. 

I just upgraded from a Playbar on a Samsung Q80T.  Never had any sound issues with that.  Plug the Arc in, sound issues.

I updated Samsung Frame Firmware last week to 1462.1 and it made problem worse.

Updated Sonos 13.0 when it came out 2 days ago and it’s all been working perfectly.  Knock on wood.

I use Netflix, Prime and Disney+ built into the Frame and also an external Rogers Cable box.

I have the Q80T with Q800t bar , same eArc issues as you have with the Sonos ARC . 

Samsung wanted to check the soundbar, so I returned it. 

I would like to try a S. ARC on my TV, but I'm afraid it will be the same issues with that one. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

For what it’s worth, I’ve been running the new patch for ~ 5 days now, turned off the nightly power cycles for the Sonos and so far so good.  Really hope that is the end of it!

Badge +1

I noticed there still is some sound issue with the frame 2020 and soundbar combo when eARC turned on (Auto mode). For example, when my daughter watch Peppa Pig on HBO Nordic, the sound disappears after seeing some episodes in a row and on the start of a new one. When eARC is off there is no issues.

Samsung Frame running on SW 1460.9 and SONOS Arc on SW 13.0 build 62186220. HBO app is the built in Tizen smart platform.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I noticed there still is some sound issue with the frame 2020 and soundbar combo when eARC turned on (Auto mode). For example, when my daughter watch Peppa Pig on HBO Nordic, the sound disappears after seeing some episodes in a row and on the start of a new one. When eARC is off there is no issues.

Samsung Frame running on SW 1460.9 and SONOS Arc on SW 13.0 build 62186220. HBO app is the built in Tizen smart platform.

Hi Brian, 

can you and update The Frame to the latest 1497.0 firmware and test again with feedback? The firmware can be found on Samsung’s website and needs to be installed by putting it on a USB stick.

Hi All - I purchased my first Sonos product - Beam - and attempted to connect it to my Samsung 50” Frame (2020) yesterday with no success. I found this thread today and spent enough time going through it to, I think, decipher that unless I want to spend time that I do not currently have devoted to the Samsung/Sonos apparent saga, I should just return the Sonos Beam to Costco while I still can. 

Before I do, I was just hoping someone might read this post and confirm for me that the problem with my Sonos/Samsung still exists and its not my technological ineptitude :). Seems like they’re getting closer to patching/fixing the issue, but not there yet. Correct?  THANK YOU for any response! 

Badge +17

Hi @PitchDoug,

From your explanation it doesn’t sound like you’re experiencing the same thing others have posted about in this thread. I’d encourage you to reach out to our customer care team who can help you in getting your Beam hooked up to your new TV :slight_smile:

Thanks James. I’ll give customer support a try first. Hoping its just me! 

Badge +1

Hi Brian, 

can you and update The Frame to the latest 1497.0 firmware and test again with feedback? The firmware can be found on Samsung’s website and needs to be installed by putting it on a USB stick.

Hi hi-tone.

Updated to 1497.0 on the Samsung Frame and made some testing with multiple episodes in a row again and across seasons as well. No sound loss yet, so everything seems to be working perfectly 😊.

/Brian

Badge +1

It seems i was to Quick to say it worked after the Update the SW to 1497 on the Samsung frame. Got the no Sound issue again to day. Turned eARC off and the Sound came back. Turned on eARC again and had no Sound, not even on any TV channels (satellite TV) or other streaming services with eARC on (auto).

Did a Power cycling on the SONOS Arc and still no Sound. Did the Power cycling on the Samsung Frame and the Sound came back with eARC turned on. Replayed the same episodes on HBO Nordic and this time there was no Sound issue, so it seems not to have anything to do with specific episodes.

/Brian

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Brian, I’ve got the exact same issue, and I’ve heard similar things from others :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am getting confused here. Has the problem been resolved with the latest firmware update?

I have a 75” The Frame 2020, and have ordered the Sonos Arc, and would really like to know if I can expect it to work correctly when I recieve it.

Badge +1

I am getting confused here. Has the problem been resolved with the latest firmware update?

I have a 75” The Frame 2020, and have ordered the Sonos Arc, and would really like to know if I can expect it to work correctly when I recieve it.

Hi Snygadk.

It has not be solved 100 % with eARC on (Auto). I still lose sound from time to time on some shows if several episodes is seen in a row with eARC enabled. When it happens, the only way ( I know of) to get eARC working again, is to power cycle the Tv - however turning off eARC in the sound option will also get the sound back.

I have turned off eARC on the Samsung Frame myself as a work around and still gets Dolby Atmos (compressed) on shows that supports it on The built-in apps on the Tizen platform - but if you use a external media streamer/box of some sort, TrueHD is not a option when eARC is off but I think you will be fine with other Dolby audio formats including Atmos metadata on DD+.

/Brian

just came here to say that after a week or two with the new firmware, I can finally say the problem has been fixed. i had to restart the sonos arc every time I turned on the tv to watch something because if I didn’t, the sound would stop and skip every 2 seconds or so. its all gone now!!! take care everyone in forum post, its been a long ride haha

Badge +1

just came here to say that after a week or two with the new firmware, I can finally say the problem has been fixed. i had to restart the sonos arc every time I turned on the tv to watch something because if I didn’t, the sound would stop and skip every 2 seconds or so. its all gone now!!! take care everyone in forum post, its been a long ride haha

It has not been fixed 100 % with eARC - but it is properly something Samsung need to rework in a later Firmware. But I will agree that new release is a gigantic step in the right direction and the sound skip every 2 seconds is gone. Almost a miracle 😊. But complete sound loss do happen with eARC on. An example:  If you got HBO Nordic, try start Peppa Pig and let the show run for multiple episodes (each episode is 5-10 min) and it will cut the sound at some point. Not sure if is the sound format or what causes this, but since my daughter love this show it happens often here and had to turned eARC off due to that. So it is NOT 100 % fixed. 

/Brian

Userlevel 1

Hello. I have a Sonos Arc and Q90T. I had 65Q90T December-February. That broke so I got a 75Q90T today. (Loved the TV before it broke. Decided I was just unlucky).

Like others, the sound cuts out every now and then. For example, I just watched Infinity War and it cut out 3 times for about 2-3 seconds each. Not great when I’m trying to show off my new big fancy TV. The old 65Q90T had a similar sound problem but not at that frequency.

I have just updated my Samsung to 1497 (after watching Infinity War). Sonos is updated. I’m interested to see if this works. I will update if it cuts out again.

Sounds settings - e-arc set to auto and output=pass through. I use a Firestick to watch TV. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello. I have a Sonos Arc and Q90T. I had 65Q90T December-February. That broke so I got a 75Q90T today. (Loved the TV before it broke. Decided I was just unlucky).

Like others, the sound cuts out every now and then. For example, I just watched Infinity War and it cut out 3 times for about 2-3 seconds each. Not great when I’m trying to show off my new big fancy TV. The old 65Q90T had a similar sound problem but not at that frequency.

I have just updated my Samsung to 1497 (after watching Infinity War). Sonos is updated. I’m interested to see if this works. I will update if it cuts out again.

Sounds settings - e-arc set to auto and output=pass through. I use a Firestick to watch TV. 

Did it work? 😊

Userlevel 1

Hello. The update didn’t work. Grr. It’s cut out about 3 times since I updated. I sent diagnostic reports each time it happened so let’s see if that helps Sonos. 

Userlevel 1

I have spoken to Sonos support. They have confirmed that there was an issue recorded in each diagnostic report. The issue occurs when the TV switches to Dolby Digital Plus. At this point, I think it’s important that other consumers realise that the Sonos Arc is not compatible with Samsung TVs. I have left a 1 star review on the Arc product page, I have also dropped a note to rtings and what hi-fi to highlight the issue so that they might add it to their review pages. Other consumers should know what they’re buying. I will remove the 1 star rating when the issue is finally remedied. (9 more reviews to drop it below 4 stars). If you’re reading this then I suggest you do the same so that they start prioritising this issue. 

Brand new QN90A and having the same issue. Would love to get info on this patch mentioned earlier in the thread.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Recieved my SONOS Arc earlier this week, and connected it to my 75” The Frame 2020. 
No problems yet. Everything is working perfectly.

The Frame is running firmware 1497 and SONOS is running 13.0.2.

Fingers crossed that it will keep up the good performance.

Userlevel 1

Hello. I watched a movie this evening. It cut out twice. I had the TV set to pass through - Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. Then I changed the TV to PCM. It cut out under both settings. It seems odd that the Sonos can’t even handle PCM without it cutting out. 

I use a Firestick 4K plugged directly into the TV  Surround sound settings are set to ‘Best Available’. Are people finding the issue with built in apps? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yesterday I experienced a problem for the first time.

I was watching a movie with Dolby Atmos on Netflix, paused the movie to answer a phone call, and when I started the movie again, there was no sound.

I unpluged the tv, waited 15 seconds, and started it up again. This fixed the problem, I now have sound again.

I watch Netflix via Apple TV 4K connected to my Samsung 75’ The Frame 2020.