Answered

Sonos Arc only works if I toggle on/off the CEC switch on my Epson Projector each time I turn it on

• 18 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Is this a common issue?

I have a Sonos Arc connected to my Epson LS 300 projector by HDMI 2 ARC. I have an Apple TV in HDMI 1. 

I have all the CEC buttons turned on in my Epson Projector. Everything works fine until I turn off the Epson projector and turn it back on. When I do that, the sound doesn’t work. I have to go into the Epson menu settings and toggle the CEC switch off and then back on to get the sound to come back on. 

The volume buttons on my Apple TV and my Epson remote show a visible volume bar moving and the Sonos lights react as if they’re reading the signal, but no sound comes out unless I go in and toggle the CEC switch. 

icon

Best answer by JZiss 19 February 2021, 03:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

If you disconnect the Apple TV, do you still have the same problem?

It’s what I’m using for picture and sound to the projector so kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

if I switch inputs from hdmi 2 back to hdmi 1 it fixes the issue, but a pain for the kids to figure all that out.

When I say switch inputs, I mean… I have the Apple TV plugged into hdmi 1. If I switch the input to Hdmi 2 and then back to hdmi 1, that corrects the issue.

Userlevel 7

I am wondering if the CEC on the Apple TV is interfering with the Arc. Have you tried disabling all CEC functionality on the Apple TV?

Good question, but just figured it out by calling Sonos. It was the HDMI cable going from the Sonos into the projector. It came with the Sonos Arc, but something was wrong with it. It was communicating properly. The Sonos rep ran a diagnostic and could see that the system was disconnecting and asked me to switch the cable. As soon as I did that everything worked when I turned off the projector and turned it back on. 

Hopefully this helps others in the future. I usually do simple steps like this, but didn’t this time. 

Sorry to report this didn’t last long. The issue is not the cord, but it’s the Epson projector allowing the Apple TV to hijack both picture and sound upon restart and that’s why I need to either toggle inputs, or reset the CEC button on the projector or unplug the Sonos HDMI cable out and in again in order to get the Apple TV to play video and the Sonos Arc to play the sound. So I switched to just plugging in the Sonos Arc via optical cable and went old school with the setup so the kids don’t have to do any gymnastics. Hopefully a future firmware update on the Epson will solve this. In the meantime, I’ll have to plug it in manually where there’s Atmos content where the ARC HDMI setting will be most worthwhile. 

Userlevel 7

Just curious… do you have your Apple TV set to sleep or does it stay on all of the time?