Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

if that's the case I think all from the uk should be contacting watchdog as its a joke

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If I want to order a new one on the Sonos site it will be delivered after 11-09-20...

Userlevel 2
Badge

If I want to order a new one on the Sonos site it will be delivered after 11-09-20...

As a replacement? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

As a replacement? 

No was just checking. I redid True Play with mine, it doesn’t sound too bad now but as said before I have the sub and Ones

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Apparently, anyone who is still experiencing an issue has a defective unit.

Where did you hear this? 

From people who whinge and it’s more believable, since they no longer believe in what SONOS say anyway.

I also found a solution. 

Sell or return the ARC. Buy a sound bar that goes with your TV brand. 

If you have a Sony TV, buy a Sony sound bar. Are they not good enough?

If you have a LG TV, buy a LG sound bar. Are they not good enough?

If you have a Samsung TV, guess what...buy a Samsung sound bar, guess what… Are they not good enough?

Stay away from SONOS community and don’t bother checking if there is any solution. 

Walk away because SONOS is expensive and it doesn't satisfy your expectations.

Let it go, forget about it, start a new system, go… go on…. just do it. 

Oh and don’t bother telling the community what other better brands you are buying, no one really care. 

See, I said stay away from SONOS community. Why are you still replying?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Where did you hear this? 

From people who whinge and it’s more believable, since they no longer believe in what SONOS say anyway.

I also found a solution. 

If you have a Samsung TV, guess what...buy a Samsung sound bar, guess what… Are they not good enough?

Stay away from SONOS community and don’t bother checking if there is any solution. 

Oh and don’t bother telling the community what other better brands you are buying, no one really care. 

Why do you always bully everybody? No one is having a go at you personally. Lots of your other posts bemoan folks that are expererencing Sonos problems, you seem to put those people down too and just accept the sun shines out of Sonos's a**e!

I'm replying because it is a Sonos forum and lots of us have a genuine Sonos problem, you don't so great. Dont be a troll.

I'm buying another brand to try, oh and hey it doesn't match my TV brand, and guess what I'm judging on sound output quality not a name! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Where did you hear this? 

I also found a solution. 

That’s the dumbest statement I’ve ever heard.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue with the Arc Bass muddied without satellites or a Sub is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

@Krishma M

@Scott - Sonos 

The issue is NOT fixed….what are you talking about? Plenty of people still having the issue - Do the people still having the issue need to exchange our bars?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue with the Arc Bass muddied without satellites or a Sub is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

@Krishma M

@Scott - Sonos

The issue is NOT fixed….what are you talking about? Plenty of people still having the issue - Do the people still having the issue need to exchange our bars?

Time for a new thread? Sonos obviously don't look at this anymore! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Krishma M

@Scott - Sonos

Time for a new thread? Sonos obviously don't look at this anymore! 

@Krishma M

@Scott - Sonos

Not fixed as far as I’m concerned. I’m still hearing the same weird bass I heard a month ago

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think you are both missing the point - the issue isn’t an inherent lack of bass (this is to be expected -and if I want more base I’ll get the sub)

The PROBLEM is the bass that is there sounds terrible - like a cheap bluetooth speaker that is pushed past its limits. They released one update and claimed the problem is fixed - it’s slightly better BUT STILL THERE. Doesn’t matter if it is music (any service) or a movie. YES I’ve tried trueplay. Same on or off.

I SHOULD be able to listen at extended volumes without the bass sounding like garbage - it’s loose, it pops, it’s muddy, it’s uncontrolled. It isnt as good as the Beam.

They still need additional work on the DSP and Crossover frequesncies. THATS THE PROBLEM (not a sheer lack of bass).

The only reason I haven’t exchanged my bar yet is b/c there are others that have - and the result is still the same.

I should only have to buy a sub if I want MORE bass - not to FIX bass that sounds like garbage.

Couldn’t agree more. Its the strange thud type of bass I get just watching TV shows at a normal volume that’s the issue. 

Badge +3

I gotta say, I got my ARC and Sub last week...Holy Crap is all I can say. The sound is fantastic. Watching the Baptism scene, last episode of Season 3 Ozarks...the gun fire was coming from all over the room. My wife is complaining that the bass is too good. Even crappy commercials sound grate. Music is excellent also.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I gotta say, I got my ARC and Sub last week...Holy Crap is all I can say. The sound is fantastic. Watching the Baptism scene, last episode of Season 3 Ozarks...the gun fire was coming from all over the room. My wife is complaining that the bass is too good. Even crappy commercials sound grate. Music is excellent also.

But…… you have the sub

Badge +3

But…… you have the sub

Yes, I do. I guess the issues are with those that just have the soundbar???

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

But…… you have the sub

Yes, I do. I guess the issues are with those that just have the soundbar???

That is correct - without the sub the bass sounds terrible an very uncontrolled like it’s being over-driven.

- obviously without a sub there is a lack of low end (which is okay). But what is there does not sound correct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Received this email today… perhaps this could be some good news to those of us experiencing the issues or at least to those who are hearing the issue. 

I have been in touch with Sonos and they are sending me a new device to test to see if the same issue is happening with it.  I’m not holding my breath with the replacement device but they guaranteed that it would be a brand new device and I’ll need to just ship my old one back within 5-7 business days or risk being charged for the new device as well. 

I’m more hopeful to be selected for the new Arc beta testing this email indicates.  :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Krishma M Please clarify your statement we've been waiting a few days since you wrote it and we all have some expensive paperweights still...

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. The issue with the muddy or bottoming out bass from the Arc in a stand-alone configuration (no satellites or Sub) is no longer occurring. If your system is up to date and still the same issue we need to troubleshoot as normal. I’d suggest checking with the content (TV, Music in Sonos app) if it’s the same. If wall-mounted, does removing the speaker from the wall bracket and setting it on a credenza or table improve the issue? Is Trueplay configured on the Arc? Try to enable/disable Trueplay, if there would be any different. Is the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? If it’s all the same after playing around, try to reboot the Arc or reset to its factory settings

If the issue still persists, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm EST for further steps and resolution. We’re always here to help. Thanks for the patience! 

Badge

Hi folks. The issue with the muddy or bottoming out bass from the Arc in a stand-alone configuration (no satellites or Sub) is no longer occurring. If your system is up to date and still the same issue we need to troubleshoot as normal. I’d suggest checking with the content (TV, Music in Sonos app) if it’s the same. If wall-mounted, does removing the speaker from the wall bracket and setting it on a credenza or table improve the issue? Is Trueplay configured on the Arc? Try to disable Trueplay, if there would be any different. Is the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? If it’s all the same, try to reboot the Arc or reset to its factory settings

If the issue still persists, call 800-680-2345 from Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm EST for further steps and resolution. We’re always here to help. Thanks for the patience! 

Is it possible for you @Krishma M to post a video similar to what the other community members have?  For example, if you play/record the Drive scene or Eminem’s Without Me at 50% or higher, where many have reported the issue?  I think that will clarify a lot of questions that people have on what their arc should sound like and if theirs is performing as expected (and they just don’t like it) or if something else is going on with their unit.  Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi folks. The issue with the muddy or bottoming out bass from the Arc in a stand-alone configuration (no satellites or Sub) is no longer occurring. 

...but it is still occurring.  :thinking:   It was addressed in an update about a week after the Arc was released which improved it but the problem still exists today on an updated system. 

This does seem frustrating to have you say it’s fixed now, which would lead anyone to believe that it’s no longer being actively worked on for those still having issues (such as myself).

I guess I’ll go through my RMA process and see if it is truly bad hardware but I am leery of that given others feedback.  Since it took so long to get a response from Sonos Support on this being ‘fixed’ or not, my return window has passed so now I have to put my faith in Sonos that they will continue to improve it to the point where we were all hoping it would’ve been on launch day. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi folks. The issue with the muddy or bottoming out bass from the Arc in a stand-alone configuration (no satellites or Sub) is no longer occurring. 

...but it is still occurring.  :thinking:   It was addressed in an update about a week after the Arc was released which improved it but the problem still exists today on an updated system. 

This does seem frustrating to have you say it’s fixed now, which would lead anyone to believe that it’s no longer being actively worked on for those still having issues (such as myself).

I guess I’ll go through my RMA process and see if it is truly bad hardware but I am leery of that given others feedback.  Since it took so long to get a response from Sonos Support on this being ‘fixed’ or not, my return window has passed so now I have to put my faith in Sonos that they will continue to improve it to the point where we were all hoping it would’ve been on launch day. 

They are pretty much saying the way bass from Arc currently sounds is intended and not a bug. It wouldn’t surprise me given the tiny elliptical woofers. There’s no substitute for a bigger size (to push more air volume) to produce nice and punchy bass. 

So now, it’s either return or buy a sub. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

They are pretty much saying the way bass from Arc currently sounds is intended and not a bug. It wouldn’t surprise me given the tiny elliptical woofers. There’s no substitute for a bigger size (to push more air volume) to produce nice and punchy bass. 

So now, it’s either return or buy a sub. 

Yeah, what a bummer.  My return window has passed too so I don’t have a choice other than to sell it 2nd hand now. 

I guess I’ll hold on as there are some conversations on Reddit about an upcoming beta for just the Arc… so maybe there is hope there.

Will get the new replacement in 4-5 days, so maybe it really is a faulty unit I have. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think some people , like the guy that uploaded the Drive video to youtube should ask for a replacement from Sonos. Mine doesnt sound like that at all.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think some people , like the guy that uploaded the Drive video to youtube should ask for a replacement from Sonos. Mine doesnt sound like that at all.

‘‘Twas me who uploaded the drive video… and that is the replacement my first one had a build ate March 2020 this had maybe 2020 and sounds identical. 

@Krishma M 

I run a setup with no sub but a pair of play 1s as tears are you saying there is still an issue in this setup or this should be resolved and i should seek help too as I have faulty gear? Please clarify.

many thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Is it possible for you @Krishma M to post a video similar to what the other community members have?  For example, if you play/record the Drive scene or Eminem’s Without Me at 50% or higher, where many have reported the issue?  I think that will clarify a lot of questions that people have on what their arc should sound like and if theirs is performing as expected (and they just don’t like it) or if something else is going on with their unit.  Thanks.

Hi @Kepps20, as much as I love to do that but we don’t have anything to share but it would be best if we try it with the phone support team. 

I run a setup with no sub but a pair of play 1s as tears are you saying there is still an issue in this setup or this should be resolved and i should seek help too as I have faulty gear? Please clarify.

Hi @pyro225, thanks for reaching out. You shouldn’t have any issues with that. I’m just saying that the issue that we’ve had with the Arc was with no Sub or satellites linked. 

If you still have any questions, please let us know.