Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post

1406 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue with the Arc Bass muddied without satellites or a Sub is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

I'm assuming you are referring to post 12.0.4 app update results? 

Please clarify. 

I think it’s just an app update but not system update...

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi folks, we greatly appreciate your patience. Upon checking the issue with the Arc Bass muddied without satellites or a Sub is no longer occurring. Thanks for understanding and let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

I'm assuming you are referring to post 12.0.4 app update results? 

Please clarify. 

I think it’s just an app update but not system update...

But the Sonos staff member claims this (muddied bass) is no longer occurring. It must be true! ;) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Do you mean the ones that are produced now? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

What? Really? I ordered the Samsung hw-q80r yesterday as I am so fed up with that awful thud the Arc calls bass, just my luck. Anyone confirm it has made a spot of difference? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry Krishma M are you claiming this is sorted? and I had satellites and a bar and experienced the issues its not limited to just the bar?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have just updated and it sounds just as bad as before - Eminem - without me over 50% , Weeknd - StarBoy - over 50%

come on do you even test these before saying its fixed?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have just updated and it sounds just as bad as before - Eminem - without me over 50% , Weeknd - StarBoy - over 50%

If they did that, we would not have had the issue in question in the first place :D

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

its getting frustrating no updates and then we get a ‘its fixed’ and it never is never even an improvement apart from the first release. On my second Arc now and still sounds like an entry level alba system over 50%… £800 Sonos… £800… where's my £800 class of service ...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wow, that's bang out of order Sonos to say its fixed when clearly it isn't. Let's face it, this should have only been sold with the sub... Then it might be fixed. In that case can't wait for the arrival of my Samsung bar tomorrow. Sonos can do one! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I contacted Sonos Netherlands by chat. He told me I had to put bass on 0 (I have +8) and turn off true play. After that he told me I have to perform true play again, as this had a fix in the latest app update. Also my Eco system being on a wifi extender could cause problems. (i have this for a week now, because my Play 1 sound cut out in the back Of the garden)

if true play doesn’t fix it I have to call them

Userlevel 2
Badge

I contacted Sonos Netherlands by chat. He told me I had to put bass on 0 (I have +8) and turn off true play. After that he told me I have to perform true play again, as this had a fix in the latest app update. Also my Eco system being on a wifi extender could cause problems. (i have this for a week now, because my Play 1 sound cut out in the back Of the garden)

Well it sounds like we are going round in circles even more... Did he want you to do that standing on your head whilst drinking water too? Don't believe anything they say anymore to be honest.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Well it sounds like we are going round in circles even more... Did he want you to do that standing on your head whilst drinking water too? Don't believe anything they say anymore to be honest.

At this point, I believe some people have expectations out of this soundbar that wont be met. I say this in the music department. And the reason is simply speaker design, the Arc is smaller in area than the playbar and has smaller woofers. It also doesnt have an integrated sub as the playbase. So it wont have similar “feeling” bass. Even though it is 800 dollars or euros it was designed for movies or tv primarily. And it delivers very well in that department. For me music is also good with the bar, but I think some are misled because its 800 it will be amazing for everything including music.

There are MANY users that are happy with the Arc performance, actually I think it has more than enough bass for my movies and shows and movies. But I recognize it isnt as good for music thump as other speakers.

Some compare it to Homepods, or Sonos Fives, look at the size look at the physical dimensions look at the woofer sizes (diameter) that is what determines bass of a speaker. 

I have seen one or two clips of a guy who shows a netflix movie and a bad sound, I would ask for a replacement mine does not behave like that.

I initially had some issues but after the firmware update it was fixed for me. If you are not satisfied gfo with another soundbar with a sub. That is my advice or grab a playbar with sub.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I must say for movies it sounds great (the scene in The Punisher where he shoots the mob guys is mega)but I still find it lacking mid and low range power. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

At this point, I believe some people have expectations out of this soundbar that wont be met..…

Why, its advertised as a standalone home theatre? 

Even though it is 800 dollars or euros it was designed for movies or tv primarily. And it delivers very well in that department. For me music is also good with the bar, but I think some are misled because its 800 it will be amazing for everything including music.

Obviously £800 means a lot less to you than it does me, perhaps you have money to burn? For that amount of money I do expect a speaker to not distort at 50% volume and even on films and TV, although it sounds good, it distorts on that too sometimes as low as 30-40% volume

If you are not satisfied gfo with another soundbar with a sub. That is my advice or grab a playbar with sub.

Bit harsh, I won't blow smoke up Sonos's ass for what I see as a inadequate "expensive" product

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

At this point, I believe some people have expectations out of this soundbar that wont be met. I say this in the music department. And the reason is simply speaker design, the Arc is smaller in area than the playbar and has smaller woofers. It also doesnt have an integrated sub as the playbase. So it wont have similar “feeling” bass. Even though it is 800 dollars or euros it was designed for movies or tv primarily. And it delivers very well in that department. For me music is also good with the bar, but I think some are misled because its 800 it will be amazing for everything including music.

There are MANY users that are happy with the Arc performance, actually I think it has more than enough bass for my movies and shows and movies. But I recognize it isnt as good for music thump as other speakers.

Some compare it to Homepods, or Sonos Fives, look at the size look at the physical dimensions look at the woofer sizes (diameter) that is what determines bass of a speaker. 

I have seen one or two clips of a guy who shows a netflix movie and a bad sound, I would ask for a replacement mine does not behave like that.

I initially had some issues but after the firmware update it was fixed for me. If you are not satisfied gfo with another soundbar with a sub. That is my advice or grab a playbar with sub.

Smaller area, smaller woofers, bass isn’t as good as the HomePod which has a quality big size woofer and 7 tweeters for just $199, isn’t good for music - so the important question - What are you paying $799 for, bruh? I didn’t even mention the lack of passthrough ports and trash microphones for google assistant. 

Based on your own points, you are paying 50% premium for Sonos logo. Enjoy !

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Smaller area, smaller woofers, bass isn’t as good as the HomePod which has a quality big size woofer and 7 tweeters for just $199, isn’t good for music - so the important question - What are you paying $799 for, bruh? I didn’t even mention the lack of passthrough ports and trash microphones for google assistant. 

No need to “bruh” anyone.

And I am confused since you are legit agreeing with me. Smaller area smaller woofers less punchy bass….. The arc was not designed for hiphop/EDM music.

I have a homepod here in my room airplayed my tv there for a movie and I do not prefer it than the Arc. No way. I think the voices in the homepod all feel behind the music and bass and like drowned out. Not as clear as on the Arc. Theres 0 stereo separation of course. But it just feels like overly muddy to my ears - I do not mean muddy bass, the bass is very punchy but the vocals and other instruments feel like drowned out. 

But then again you are agreeing with me. Yeah the Sonos Arc is expensive. And if you are mainly interested in movies or Tv the arc has way better sound than a homepod. For music if you like heavy bass music yeah the Homepod delivers more of course. But then again for more acoustic or less bassy songs I prefered the Arc. I played some of taylor swifts new music and then again homepod sounds drown out . I am giving away the homepod since I already have Sonos Ones and the Arc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I think you are both missing the point - the issue isn’t an inherent lack of bass (this is to be expected -and if I want more base I’ll get the sub)

The PROBLEM is the bass that is there sounds terrible - like a cheap bluetooth speaker that is pushed past its limits. They released one update and claimed the problem is fixed - it’s slightly better BUT STILL THERE. Doesn’t matter if it is music (any service) or a movie. YES I’ve tried trueplay. Same on or off.

I SHOULD be able to listen at extended volumes without the bass sounding like garbage - it’s loose, it pops, it’s muddy, it’s uncontrolled. It isnt as good as the Beam.

They still need additional work on the DSP and Crossover frequesncies. THATS THE PROBLEM (not a sheer lack of bass).

The only reason I haven’t exchanged my bar yet is b/c there are others that have - and the result is still the same.

I should only have to buy a sub if I want MORE bass - not to FIX bass that sounds like garbage.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No need to “bruh” anyone.

And I am confused since you are legit agreeing with me. Smaller area smaller woofers less punchy bass….. The arc was not designed for hiphop/EDM music.

I have a homepod here in my room airplayed my tv there for a movie and I do not prefer it than the Arc. No way. I think the voices in the homepod all feel behind the music and bass and like drowned out. Not as clear as on the Arc. Theres 0 stereo separation of course. But it just feels like overly muddy to my ears - I do not mean muddy bass, the bass is very punchy but the vocals and other instruments feel like drowned out. 

But then again you are agreeing with me. Yeah the Sonos Arc is expensive. And if you are mainly interested in movies or Tv the arc has way better sound than a homepod. For music if you like heavy bass music yeah the Homepod delivers more of course. But then again for more acoustic or less bassy songs I prefered the Arc. I played some of taylor swifts new music and then again homepod sounds drown out . I am giving away the homepod since I already have Sonos Ones and the Arc.

I think you are missing the point - this was bought in t a higher price point than the playbar which did not distort at full volume on anything of mine even at full bass on the eq! The playbar was also cheaper and had a far better mid than this to so the ‘tinny’ effect was not there.

now you say it’s smaller with smaller drivers so I should expect it to sound worse? really do they not have an r&d department?

imagine if Microsoft said they were doing windows 11 it would take up half the space but crash twice as much… hardly progress is it?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Exactly. And Sonos had 7 YEARS between Playbar and Arc. We were back in the days of iPhone 5S when Playbar was launched lol.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Good Microsoft analogy!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Good Microsoft analogy!

Thank you :-) 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Apparently, anyone who is still experiencing an issue has a defective unit.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Apparently, anyone who is still experiencing an issue has a defective unit.

Where did you hear this? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Isn’t that the gist of what Krishma is saying above

Userlevel 2
Badge

If that is the case there seems like there may be an awful lot of detective units. 

I also think Sonos have now washed there hands of this and as far as they are concerned the problem is over and thereby so is this thread!