Question

Sonos Arc is not playing full Soundtrack on HDD 5.1 movies? help?

• 2 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi 

I love my Sonos ARC and have no real issues with it in terms of what it does however, I recently discovered that I have a hard drive with old movie rips and some downloaded ones on it that are all 5.1 or AC3 5.1 which the Sonos seems not to like. it is almost like some channels are missing, meaning you get the background music and some sound effects but no speech people are talking. if I play one that is Atmos it works fine. I realise it could be the way the movie was originally ripped but if I unplug the drive and play through my other tv attached to a Sonos Beam everything is fine.

I did have it when playing Punisher over Netflix once but after turning everything off it played back at DD+ when I put it back on and it has never happened again

Just wondered if anyone could explain why this could be happening ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Briinthesky, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing us with a detailed concern. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Your Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. These factors include the HDMI connections on your TV, streaming services, and physical source devices. If Arc is receiving an Atmos signal, we will display that within the Sonos App on both the "Now Playing" screen and within the settings portion of our app.

About your stored movies in your hard drive, Sonos Arc will be able to play it depending on the content. If you downloaded/ripped the movie with Atmos format, then you should be able to watch it without any missing channels. 

You can check in the Sonos app what audio is your Sonos Arc is receiving:
Navigate to Settings > System > About my System. Scroll down to Sonos System Info and locate your Sonos Arc and then look for Audio In.

I'd appreciate it if you can submit a diagnostic report to understand how your system is functioning and to check what's going to further assist you with this. Also, If you can provide the make and model of your TV, that would be great. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We'll wait for your reply.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi 

I love my Sonos ARC and have no real issues with it in terms of what it does however, I recently discovered that I have a hard drive with old movie rips and some downloaded ones on it that are all 5.1 or AC3 5.1 which the Sonos seems not to like. it is almost like some channels are missing, meaning you get the background music and some sound effects but no speech people are talking. if I play one that is Atmos it works fine. I realise it could be the way the movie was originally ripped but if I unplug the drive and play through my other tv attached to a Sonos Beam everything is fine.

I did have it when playing Punisher over Netflix once but after turning everything off it played back at DD+ when I put it back on and it has never happened again

Just wondered if anyone could explain why this could be happening ?

Hi, can you tell us how you are playing the videos? Are you using a streaming box? Which one?

Are you sure you are doing bitstream passthrough to Arc?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I am plugging a Samsung hdd into my OPPO 203 and it is then playing through a HD FURY vetex2 and Arcana into the ARC.

It seems if it has a listing of LPCM it doesn’t always  work.

I can get by without it but just seems strange how it is selective.

If i hit it with Atmos it is fine and all my $k discs play fine

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

Further to my post above, I have found if i make sure it states that it has 6 channel audio in the file detail details then it plays fine through the ARC