Answered

Sonos Arc drops audio when source is stereo

• 28 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Sonos Arc drops audio frequently when playing media from Android TV where audio source is stereo.

No issues with netflix app when source is dolby atmos.

TV is new Philips OLED807 2022 model, with latest firmware. Connected via eArc port.

Already tried disconnecting power to tv for few minutes.
Tried both Sonos supplied HDMI cable and brand new expensive HDMI 2.1 cable.

anyone with the magic solution?

Diagnosis number 1890521882

icon

Best answer by Corry P 30 January 2023, 16:48

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dh800 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can see the events in the logs which are reported as underflow errors - this means the stream provided to Sonos over the HDMI cable is being interrupted. Given that this only happens with stereo PCM, it cannot be a cable issue, nor a cable/socket connection issue. Nor is it a configuration issue - other formats play, and stereo PCM is supposed to be a reliable fall-back.

It may be worth disabling the TV’s eARC setting - if your main source of content is streaming services like Netflix, then you’re not going to receive uncompressed audio and therefore ARC will be sufficient - even for Atmos - and possibly less prone to issues. If this does help, I recommend you get in touch with Philips support in regards to why.

If you can, I recommend returning the new cable for a refund - for Sonos, only the audio is important and we therefore only require a HDMI v1.9 cable. No 4K picture is carried over the cable, which is what HDMI 2.0/2.1 is needed for.

I hope this helps.

Edit; Changed HDMI 1.4 to 1.9