Question

Sonos ARC connection to Sonos AMP for rear surrounds..

• 16 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I’ve been tasked with installing a Sonos Home Theater setup in a room with three glass walls. The client has a projector mounted on the back wall (the solid wall) and a drop down projection screen on the center glass wall. I’ve been asked to design a system that will minimally impact the views when the screen is not in use. On top of those challenges, there is not an easy way to snake cable from the back of the room to the front, which is why I’m hoping a wireless Sonos system might be a good fit. 

What I’d like to do is the following:

-Sonos AMP in the back of the room receives audio from an AppleTV (either HDMI or optical) 

-AMP powers two passive rear surround speakers

-Two ONEs on floor stands in the front of the room for front L&R (and phantom center?) wirelessly receiving audio from the AMP

-A SUB wirelessly receiving audio from the amp  

Would this work? It seems SHT isn’t designed for projection setups where the video source is in the rear of the room instead of the front so this is the best solution I could come up with but it’s unclear if the AMP can be the primary receiver of audio for video if it’s only assigned to rear surrounds. The goal is to avoid running any cable from the back of the room to the front.  

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @moclov555.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to share with you the features, functionality, and limitation of the Sonos Amp through this link.

1. Sonos does not recommend the set up of connecting the Sonos Amp to a projector since it is designed to be connected directly to the TV.
  2. If the Sonos Amp is connected directly to the source of the audio like TV or cable box, even if you connect rear speakers to the Sonos Amp, The Sonos Amp would still be considered the main Home Theater speaker/
  3. If you would like to add either a non Sonos sub or the Sonos Sub to the Sonos Amp, as long as the Sonos amp is directly connected to the audio source, it is possible. However, if you bond the Sonos Amp as surrounds to any Sonos Home theater speaker such as the Sonos Arc, Beam, Playbar, or Playbase, adding a non Sonos sub or the Sonos Sub to the Sonos Amp is no longer possible since it will no longer act as your main home theater speaker.
  4. You can group through the Sonos app 2 Sonos One’s to the Sonos Amp (acting as your Main HT speaker) to mimic what the Sonos Amp audio is generating. Using the Sonos Amp as your main HT speaker would not have the possibility of having a front center since the Sonos amp only have 2 speaker wire connection (left and right stereo pair) which gives no other room for center.

I hope these answers your questions.

Please do not hesitate to reachout if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,