Answered

Sonos Arc compatibility with Panasonic TV

• 1 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am considering buying a Sonos ARC however i have a query related to compatibility issues with this soundbar and my TV.

I own a 2018 Panasonic OLED TX65FZ802B which has HDMI ARC only. However when i watch movies on Netflix, Disney + and Prime using my Amazon Fire Stick 4k, i notice that the information shows up on the TV for a few seconds that it is receiving Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) which from reading some articles on the net is a compressed version of Atmos. So essentially i’m looking for advice to confirm if the Sonos ARC would provide an Atmos audio signal using DD+ through this TV? info online is very scarce about this subject.

Any advice would be much appreciated

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 June 2021, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

What do the Apps built into the Panasonic TV support? If they support the DD+ (Atmos) codec, then that’s a good indicator that the TV will pass-through the codec, but it’s still not guaranteed and your best way of discovering the answer to this is to speak to the the Panasonic support desk Staff and get their response (in writing).

Note, if you did go onto purchase the Arc there are still other options open to you aswell… one is, you can always add an HDFury Arcana to bypass your TV altogether and get DD+ (atmos) audio with that TV HDMI audio splitter, or you can return the Arc within the time period stated - 100 days (if purchased direct from Sonos).

So I would perhaps start with speaking to the Panasonic Support desk.. see this link:

https://support-uk.panasonic.eu

What do the Apps built into the Panasonic TV support? If they support the DD+ (Atmos) codec, then that’s a good indicator that the TV will pass-through the codec, but it’s still not guaranteed and your best way of discovering the answer to this is to speak to the the Panasonic support desk Staff and get their response (in writing).

Note, if you did go onto purchase the Arc there are still other options open to you aswell… one is, you can always add an HDFury Arcana to bypass your TV altogether and get DD+ (atmos) audio with that TV HDMI audio splitter, or you can return the Arc within the time period stated - 100 days (if purchased direct from Sonos).

So I would perhaps start with speaking to the Panasonic Support desk.. see this link:

https://support-uk.panasonic.eu

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for the information.

I’ve contacted Panasonic and they have confirmed that although i wont get the full Lossless version of Atmos, my TV will provide the compressed version using DD+ through to the ARC which they have confirmed will send the upward firing speakers the proper audio, just not the full Lossless version.

I think i will be buying directly from the Sonos site so i can also take advantage of the 100 day return policy so if it doesnt work as mentioned then i will just return it.

Thanks again for your help

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not a Panasonic, but on my Samsung AppleTV app will only output 5.1, Disney+ outputs DD+ but not Atmos…. From what I can see they do not support Atmos over DD+ but Amazon and Netflix do support the compressed Atmos over DD+.

So It seems to be the Service as well as the TV that needs to be considered when not dealing with eARC.