Answered

Sonos Arc audio keeps cutting out when connected to Samsung TV

• 23 January 2024
  • 27 replies

Why isn’t this issue resolved? And if it is, what is the actual solution? For a couple years since owning the Arc and all the other prime Sonos Speakers & Sub, everything worked fine. Now, the sound when coming through the TV, will randomly go to near silent for 5-seconds at a time, then resume normal output. My brother has the exact same issue, suddenly- so this isn’t a personal problem - and this problem is all over this troubleshooting website. Why isn’t there a definitive common solution for a very well defined Sonos problem. My “Vizio” (yeah, Vizio) surround system in my bedroom has zero issues. What the heck? Just sayin

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 February 2024, 13:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Sony TV’s had the same issue at one time. I had this problem but Sony had an update that resolved it.  Maybe it’s Samsung that is the issue and not Sonos. 

I’m having the same issue with an ARC and Samsung TV over the last several months.  Any solutions? 

Userlevel 7

Try this:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Arc has been successfully connected, connect any other devices to the TV. Then set the TV to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto (Off if only using the TV’s native apps)

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

Badge +3

Issue is still here. Sonos and S95C TV are up to date.

Semi-solution is setting the TV to ARC instead eARC.

Problem is that I need to switch audio settings on Apple TV everytime from DD5.1 to Atmos manually, otherwise all DD5.1 content will be played as stereo if I leave the settings on Atmos.

When eARC is enabled Apple TV switches this automatically. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TheBravoC 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As far as I am aware, we are not currently tracking any issues with audio interruptions on Arcs with a Samsung TV (or other brands). I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports, as I suspect that the cause will be local.

I hope this helps.

Having same problem.  I was  advised today that sonos and samsung are actually trying to solve the problem but a work around is to connect via optical but this stopped the Atmos work which is pretty pointless having a Arc in that case... nevertheless they did say to keep doing the updates but I would have to go back to hdmi E to get the Atmos back on but couldn't tell me when that would likely to be. 

I am having the same issue with my Arc SL/Samsung setup. It seems to have started in the last month or so and is very annoying when trying to enjoy the system. It happens on all the streaming apps on the TV. Since it seems like there are many people having this issue. Please advise if there are any workarounds or fixes out there.

What did Sonos Support say, when you submitted a diagnostic, and called in?

Having the same issue here regardless of the source. Happens with Samsung TV Plus, YouTube TV, Hulu, Amazon etc. 

have tried multiple settings with no luck. As mentioned this just began happening in the past few months 

Hi,

I have the same problem since 2 days with my Sonos Beam 1 with my Sony TV.

What is happening ?

Badge

I’m having same problem with my Sono Arc and Samsung TV (QA75Q70AAWXZW), audio cuts out every few minutes for 1-2 seconds. This problem started end of 2023. I also have Sub, 1 Amp connected to a pair of in-ceiling speaker in my livingroom. So this problem is pervasive, based on other’s report as well. 

below are screen shots of my TV and Sono System. Arc is disconnected, as I was trying to follow the instruction in the thread to disconnect and reconnect Arc and TV. 

Moderator edit: removed pictures with identifying information within

Badge

I followed the instruction below, and it fixed the problem. On the Samsung TV, I left the HDMI-eARC mode setting to OFF. 

Disconnect everything from the TV including the Arc and unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Be sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings and set Digital Output Audio Format to Pass-Through and HDMI-eARC Mode to OFF. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Arc to the TV using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Arc has been successfully connected, connect any other devices to the TV.

Keep the HDMI-eARC Mode setting to OFF when using streaming apps. Set it to AUTO when using the Blu-ray player.

I am having the same behaviour for the last ~3months.

The sounds is randomly go to silent for 2-3 seconds at a time. This is happening with my samsung TV QN90AA.
It happen with any source (native app, cable box)..

Situation is a worst when eArc is set to Auto. 

I tried the workaround to unplug everything without success.. This was running fine for more than a year..

Any ideas?

Sonos Arc OS: S2

Version 16.1

Hardware Version : 1.27.1.11-1.2

(with Sonos Sub connected)

Badge

I left the HDMI-eARC mode setting to OFF. 

I unplugged all other sources - cable set top box, appleTV, switch, and didn’t connect them back until I verified the fix worked just with Samsungs internal app like Netflix or YouTube. 

Hope that works for you too. 

Thanks again for your quick feedback!

I tried it again and it seems to work now :)

Maybe I skipped a step last time or went to fast.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It feel good to not have that silent drop for a whole movie.

Also having a Samsung/Arc SL issue. It only started a few months ago.

Very annoying!!

About ready to return my unit to Costco and go with a different bar

I totally understand your frustration.
You can try to follow the disconnect step posted earlier.

So far, it ‘s working for me. Already watched a couple of movies and a full tv show without a glitch :)

Good luck!

This should not be marked as answered. Samsung QN85. Audio cuts out for 3-5 seconds every couple minutes. 

The steps to fix it worked temporarily. Started happening again. A soundbar this expensive should not be having this problem. 

I have the same problem.  This is super frustrating with $1000s of dollars invested in Samsung and Sonos equipment. How is “turn off earc” (losing the cool functionality I upgraded to) the solution?  This is down right embarrassing to host an event and have the TV sound operate worse than any TV sound experience in my 40 year lifetime. Do better SONOS. 

I have been having these issues off and on for the past few years. It has gotten noticeably worse lately especially with my Samsung QN65Q70. Intermittent sound cutting out and short/brief sound skips and drops. Really Sonos??????? Why is this issue all over this forum and all over the internet. I have yet to see a fully satisfying resolution that does NOT involve some type of feature reducing workaround. I have other sound systems connected to my other Samsung TV’s and those sound systems have zero issues!

This has caused me to most definitely plan on NOT buying Sonos ever again. All this money for a SONOS ARC and it can’t seem to simply play sound (without the skips and interruptions) from my Samsung with HDMI set to pass through along with all the other recommended settings. And YES, I have tried all of the power cycling and resets. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn’t. And, when it does work, it’s only for a brief period of time. SONOS you’ve been nothing but a headache. I would never recommend to my friends or anyone else to buy your ARC.

The lack of sound consistency and reliability was just barely “tolerable” before but has been growing more and more intolerable! Please fix your issues!!!!!

So…

Sonos. Are you and Samsung going to fix the audio issue?  Passthrough is still greyed out for Sony PS5 and Panasonic UB820. Passthrough only works on Vudu App on PS5. 

Please. Please. Fix this! 

Should not be marked as answered the fix is only temporary and comes back frequently.  Also requires reduced functionality for top tier equipment. Please fix this!!!

Perhaps that answer fixed it for the OP? And you’re experiencing a different issue that looks very similar? Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

No and I will try that but the other people saying they are still experiencing the same problem with similar setup is usually a good indicator that there is a larger problem still present.

You’re right though I will certainly try. 

The challenge is always that the ‘same symptom’ may be caused by more than one bug. Sonos may have fixed the one the OP was experiencing, you may be experiencing a different one, or have other ‘different’ circumstances. By no means does that mean that you’re not experiencing a problem, it just means the OP’s issue may be fixed, and Sonos needs more information to fix yours.