Sonos Arc Atmos through HDMI arc

• 28 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Considiring going for a Sonos Arc.

My TV does not support eArc. Will I be able to get Dolby Atmos on a Sonos Arc through HDMI arc?

If not - would my dolby atmos receiver with two 2 hdmi out do the trick?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Vintage89, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos Community. We appreciate your detailed post describing your concern. Let me help you out with this.

The Sonos Arc can play Dolby Atmos audio. ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. You can find more information on playing Atmos audio through Arc in our Dolby Atmos article. Not all TVs have HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC, so check your TV’s user manual to see which HDMI connections you have. Getting Dolby Atmos audio can also depend on the physical source device playing the content and the format or output must be set to one of our supported home theater audio formats.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Yes, Atmos via Dolby Digital plus is carried across HDMI ARC. 

Unlikely that your receiver sends an HDMI ARC signal, it probably has electronics to receive, not send, it.