Answered

sonos arc atmos sony a1 oled

• 14 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi

just set up my new Arc with my Sony A1 oled tv 

I have done plenty reading here about atmos/arc/earc etc 

sony a1 does not have eArc which I knew !

but maybe I read too much here  about this so maybe someone can clear something up for me !

set was easy and  arc sounds beautiful …

now I have upgraded from a pretty old home cinema 

so any upgrade would be better ..doh !!

anyway while playing a a good example of Dolby 5.1 

I tried “6 underground” on Netflix, I seen that this was in Dolby atmos …so expected it to play in Dolby 5.1

while playing through the Sonos app the sound says on the app Dolby atmos !!

if I do not  have an eArc on Sony a1 should this not say Dolby 5.1 

Iam  sure i read here that the app will play/decode only what it receives from tv 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 April 2021, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

HDMI eARC is not always required to get lossy Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos audio from streaming apps. Many newer TVs that are only equipped with HDMI ARC can pass through Dolby Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps like Netflix, Prime Video, and VUDU. HDMI eARC is mainly required for external media devices and to pass through lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Non-lossy Dolby Amos (TrueHD) requires e-arc hdmi, which you do not have.  But with arc hdmi, you can still get the lossy version which is Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital +) when watching tv apps.

edit: i was a bit slow on the draw...see post above

Badge

HDMI eARC is not always required to get lossy Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Atmos audio from streaming apps. Many newer TVs that are only equipped with HDMI ARC can pass through Dolby Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps like Netflix, Prime Video, and VUDU. HDMI eARC is mainly required for external media devices and to pass through lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM.

So if my Sonos app says Iam receiving Dolby Atmos via tv to Sonos Arc ….Iam indeed ???

and with eArc would app say Dolby Atmos (true hd)

or stay as Dolby atmos in app 

Userlevel 7

So if my Sonos app says Iam receiving Dolby Atmos via tv to Sonos Arc ….Iam indeed ???

Yes. If you are watching a Dolby Atmos source on Netflix like 6 Underground, you are indeed listening to Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus.

FYI, another way to check the audio the Arc is receiving is go to Settings > System > About My System and look under the Sonos Arc information and see what it says after “Audio In:”. With Netflix, it should say “Dolby Atmos (DD+)”.

Badge

Thanks for that info 

really helpful 

settings it’s 

Dolby atmos dd+

thank you