Sonos Arc, Apple TV 4k, Arcana - is volume control possible?

Badge +2

Hello Sonos community!

I have a Sonos arc and I’m using an arcana to get audio to it from my Apple TV 4K. As I currently have it set up I am unable to control the volume from the Apple TV remote, either the physical version or the iOS widget. Before I start tinkering around I would really appreciate it if somebody could confirm whether or not they have volume control working with a similar set up?

If you do then it will either be my Sony projector or my HDMI switch that is to blame. Could these be the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The Arc volume control arrives by HDMI-CEC from the TV (or projector) over HDMI-eARC. It can’t come from the source device. 

If all else fails you could always use an IR-capable remote and train the Arc to recognise that.

Badge +2

Thank you.

I nearly pointed out I’d never used CEC but I don’t think my projector supports it. Is that the problem then? So if I connected a TV that supported CEC to my setup…

ATV → Arcana → Arc

|_> TV

…the volume buttons on my ATV remote would work? Do others have this working?

Given that Arcana exists to “spoof” eARC functionality I wondered if it might be able to add this functionality too. 

I currently use a Harmony Hub but I’m trying to get rid of it as I find it clunky. Easy volume control is the missing piece. The Sonos app itself is the other option but it’s not really practical for a mid-movie volume tweak in the way the ATV remote is. 

Apart from via the network there are 2 ways to get volume commands into the Arc: HDMI-CEC or IR. The CEC is received over the HDMI-eARC connection. 

If your ATV remote was able to talk to a TV then I guess that should work, since the TV would then instruct the Arc as designed.

I don’t see how Arcana could help, as it has no means of receiving instructions from a remote. 

As noted, I think your best bet is to simply enable the infra-red remote option on the Arc. I’m not familiar with the ATV remote, but if it can’t issue IR codes itself the simplest solution may be to purchase a cheap universal IR remote. It could be a lot easier to use than the Sonos app for those mid-movie adjustments.  

Badge +2

Thank you. I will look into that. I also might see whether there are any iOS apps that can make the volume controls a little quicker to access. 

If anyone else has this working with a TV/display trust supports CEC, I’d appreciate confirmation so I can get that minor irritation out of my head, though. Or bear it in mind for my next projector upgrade!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It works fine with my Apple TV and Nvidia Shield but of course you will have to use CEC. The other option would indeed be IR and I think the Apple TV remote can be used for it but I have never used it myself. 

Badge +2

Oh wow. I never knew the Apple TV remote could learn other commands! Thank you. I will try that. 

Userlevel 7

@tomwhitaker I have the Arc, Apple TV 4K, and Arcana and both the Apple TV remote and Harmony hub/remote can control the volume on the Arc. But I am using a TV with HDMI ARC with CEC enabled. I am also using an HDMI switch with the Arcana.

Badge +2

Brilliant, thanks for confirming. 

Badge +2

I’ve just noticed this on the HDFury Arcana product description. 

[new] CEC volume control from source to eARC/ARC sound system

Has a recent update enabled the volume buttons on my ATV remote, and hopefully the iOS app remote, to send volume up/down commands to the Sonos Arc?

Might be a great question to ask HD Fury’s support.