Answered

Sonos Arc - A couple of questions

• 23 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

my first Sonos prod: a brilliant Arc black. Connected via HDMI eARC to my LG OLED 65C9 and everything seems to work pretty nicely. Mainly watching movies and series from Netflix/Prime and Atmos is regularly passed by the TV Apps when available. Also listening music from the Sonos app or other sources via Airplay works nicely even if I expected a better performance.

Planning now to improve the system adding the sub or the One SL surrounds. Which one would you prioritise considering my type of use? If you had to choose between only one of the two would you go for the Sub or the Surrounds?

Second question. In my “previous life” I had a 5.1 system with a Denon amplifier and 5.1 separate speakers. When the source was a basic two channels (say a Movie on standard antenna DTV) you could activate on the Ampli a Dolby Prologic Movie option to have a simulated Central and Surrounds. Is the Arc doing any type of processing when the source is a basic two channels stereo?

Many thanks in advance.

C.

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 23 January 2021, 11:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

This is, to a certain extent, a matter of personal taste.  The surrounds will add rear channels and will give a more spacial effect to movies, whilst the sub will give much more depth to the bass.  I built my system up with the surrounds first followed by one then two subs. :)  This would be my recommendation.

The Arc automatically changes it’s frequency range depending upon the inclusion of surrounds and/or a sub.  TruePlay adds another level to this fine tuning.

Badge +1

Many thanks UKMedia. I have also the same idea even if some are recommending to go with sub first as is dramatically changing listening experience (more than just subs). I am also more for the subs also for improving music listening via the so called “ambient mode” (I believe) which should improve channel separation and overall experience.

Are you able to answer Q2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The Arc automatically changes it’s frequency range depending upon the inclusion of surrounds and/or a sub.  TruePlay adds another level to this fine tuning.

Please see my comment above, there is no equivalent setting with Sonos.

I would also recommend using the full setting rather than Ambient.