Skip to main content
Question

Sonos Arc

• 21 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi

I’m going round the twist following installation of new router. I just can’t get the Sonos to connect to the new network using the app. I’ve tried powering on and going into network settings etc. The app just says not connected, so I tried the “join an existing network”. However, that just says can’t find Sonos, power on and connect to the network etc.

I think it might be due to new router set up. Ie have retained original router, but that now connected to a new Asus, which is configured to access point mode.

Be really grateful if someone could advise me.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Have you tried making the WIFI SSID and password on the new router the same as it was on the old router?

Can you connect a main speaker to your new router with an ethernet cable?

Badge +2

Thanks for response. WiFi SSID- no idea what that is? Password-guess I can change back to the original. I don’t have any speakers just the Arc. I can try connecting Ethernet from router to Arc, but what would that achieve? Would that help me connect to WiFi network? (Seems paradoxical)

I just can’t fathom how this process can be so fraught, when all I did was change the router? Does this happen to everyone?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

WiFi SSID- no idea what that is?

The SSDI is the name of your WIFI. If you make it and the password the same as the old router, devices will connect automatically without the need to enter the new one every device. If they do not connect automatically, they may simply need a reboot to get a new IP address from the new router.

Badge +2

Thanks. The old network was 2.4 and 5. (Arc obviously connecting to former) The new names are Asus 2.4 and Asus 5. The password has changed but I could rename SSID and revive old password. Would that cause the Sonos to reconnect without doing anything else? 

I don’t mind resetting to factory, but couldn’t find a clear process for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If your new hardware is using Sonos compatible signals going back to the original SSID and password should see you connected. (2nd link)

Factory Resetting is not going to solve anything and usually makes things worse. See the link below for details.

Up a bit you ask about wired versus WiFi. Sonos needs to connect to your network, wired or wireless doesn’t matter as such since unless your router is hosed they are all the same network.

Happens to a lot of folks that change routers without following the Sonos suggested way of doing it.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Badge +2

Thanks. I see factory reset is mentioned as an option halfway down the first article. In order to connect to a new network or use a new WiFi password, your Sonos products must be factory reset and set up again.

I only asked about wired, as other guy mentioned this possibility. Not sure what router being “hosed” means.

Looking at second article, am sure the Asus AX6000 will produce “Sonos compatible signals”. After all, the previous piece of junk I used was able to. 

Will try changing credentials and report back.

Badge +2

Changing router credentials did nothing. Have also tried the fix where you connect an Ethernet from router to Sonos and update wireless password from there. That doesn’t work, as I can’t get into settings/advanced/wireless etc. That option just not showing on the app.

Finally tried to reset via pressing button continually to get flashing green light. I can add the Arc, but it seems to get stuck connecting to my 2.4 network-says your system not found on 2.4. Make sure your device is connected to the same network that Sonos is connected to. In this case, I connect my phone to 2.4 while connecting. 

Not sure what else I can do. Saw a link to compatibility with Asus routers, but that was about disabling a setting called Airtime Fairness. Unfortunately, that was already disabled in router settings.

Can someone please advise how I can escalate this with Sonos.

Thanks