Answered

sonos arc

Hi All

I was hoping someone can help. I’m a complete novice to this. I am considering buying a Sonos arc and have a Samsung TV with an (HDMI in 4 (ARC) port on the back of it. Am I right in saying that if I buy the Sonos arc and plug it in to this port I will be able to gain Dolby Atmos sound ?

thanks to anyone who can help !

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 May 2021, 19:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Possibly, but it depends on the TV and if it supports the DD+ codec.

It definitely will not support Dolby TrueHD (w/woAtmos) from a Blu-ray Disc, nor LPCM which is used by Apple TV, for example as you need a TV with HDMI eARC to support those codecs.

What model Samsung TV is it?

Userlevel 7

Your Samsung TV is an older model from 2014-2015. If I had to guess, I would say there is a good chance your TV will NOT pass through Dolby Atmos audio. If it did, it would only pass through Atmos audio from the TV’s native apps like VUDU or possibly Netflix.

You should consider getting the HDFury Arcana. The Arcana allows any external media device to bypass your TV’s limitations and send the audio directly to the Arc. I use the Arcana because my 2013 Panasonic plasma is only equipped with HDMI ARC and it works great. I can get Dolby Atmos audio from all of my external devices.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Many thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I will do some further research.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In fact I would be surprised if this TV even passed DD 5.1, without the use of an EDID manager. Zero chance of Atmos without using an external device.

Thanks guys,

I also have a Sony KD 55XF7596 TV and another Samsung UE55TU7020KXXU TV.

does anyone know if either one of these are compatible with ears and achieving Dolby Atmos ?

thanks in advance for your help !

Thanks guys,

I also have a Sony KD 55XF7596 TV and another Samsung UE55TU7020KXXU TV.

does anyone know if either one of these are compatible with ears and achieving Dolby Atmos ?

thanks in advance for your help !

Both those TV’s do appear to support DD+ so it’s quite possible they will support Atmos audio but you are best to check with the manufacturers support desk to ask about their built-in Apps and also if their TV’s will pass the codec through their Ports and out to the Arc Receiver. You might be okay with these as they are more recently manufactured.

Many thanks for your help 👍

Final question, if I plug my arc in to one of my newer tv’s is there any way of testing that I am actually receiving and hearing Dolby Atmos or is it that obvious?

Yes it will show the type of TV audio output on the ‘Now Playing’ screen in the S2 App. See attached example.