Sonos and surround sound

• 26 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have the following components:

• Sonos Arc and Sub (Gen 3)
  • Latest LG TV with all the bells and whistles
  • Latest Marantz Integrated amp with all the bells and whistles
  • Two front full range speakers (non-powered)
  • Two rear surround speakers (non-powered)

I would like to use the above to listen/watch from various sources connected to the integrated amp while using the Sonos Arc and Sub in a 5.1 arrangement (Sonos Arc as the center channel).

What is the best way to set this up? Should I connect eArc from the amp to Arc while driving the other speakers with the amp? Would that do the trick? Do I need to buy other Sonos devices?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 26 December 2021, 18:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You need a Sonos Amp to power the two surround speakers. You will then add/bond the Amp as surrounds to the Arc in the Sonos app. The Arc/Sub/Amp setup will give you a 5.1.2 home theater setup. But unfortunately the Marantz and two front speakers cannot be included in this setup. Also, the Arc cannot be used as a center channel speaker.

If you want the Marantz and two front speakers to be included in your Sonos ecosystem, you can  connect a Sonos Port to the Marantz. This would allow you to group all your speakers together when playing music.

Thank you  @GuitarSuperstar  for your response.

I’m not sure I quite understand the last paragraph. If I buy a port ONLY, would that allow me to use the front and the effect speakers in 5.1? I’m not clear what I need to do to use all four non-powered speakers.

Thank you  @GuitarSuperstar  for your response.

I’m not sure I quite understand the last paragraph. If I buy a port ONLY, would that allow me to use the front and the effect speakers in 5.1? I’m not clear what I need to do to use all four non-powered speakers.

There is no way to use separate speakers, Sonos or otherwise, as front left/right with an Arc or Beam as center.  The Arc and Beam are soundbars, which include the left/center/right speakers in a single unit.