Sonos AMP using HDMI ARC over Cat6 to get Samsung TV audio and volume control (VANCO?)

• 14 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

I know there is a lot of discussion on using HDMI extenders to get TV audio as an input. I’m having some difficulty. Here’s my current setup:

Samsung TV → optical → SPDIF converter* → RCA → RCA to Cat6 adapter → Cat6** → Cat6 to RCA adapter → Sonos AMP

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​*https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZXWHJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

**cat6 cable is the 40 foot cable that runs from back of TV to sonos AMPO

This setup works fine, except the volume control is only available via my sonos app on my phone, not my TV remote and I want to improve that. 

I then went and purchased this from amazon: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KFMVLQB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and connected it, but found that while the Samsung TV recognized the HDMI as a speaker output, the sonos app failed when I try and test the CEC for the TV setup. I then read the site here and realized I needed a CEC pass thru, which this item didn’t have in the specs. So I returned it.

I then found this on ebay: 

https://www.vanco1.com/product/evolution-hdmi-over-single-cat5ecat6-cable-extender-with-arc/

And purchased it. I set the switches to on off on, and used hdmi 2.0 cables from amazon, but the TV doesn’t even recognize the HDMI-ARC as a sound output this time and the sonos app fails when I try and test the CEC system. I’m confused, because the product says it does HDMI-ARC and CEC passthrough.

What am I missing, and what should be I looking for to solve this problem?

Thanks for any and all help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jeffnyc, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort to get your system working. Let me help you with this. We don’t usually recommend using HDMI extenders, it may or may not work with Sonos. Please try connecting your Sonos Amp to your Samsung TV directly. You can also set up your Samsung TV remote to your Sonos Amp and using an HDMI extender may fail to work.

Once you have connected your Sonos Amp to your Samsung TV, run a diagnostic report from your Sonos system for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response. If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi I’m working on setting a similar set up.. with a close to the wall mounted LG OLED65GX6 a soundbar would look out of place hence I want to put a Sonos Amp + Ceiling speakers in place but I’m challenged where to put the AMP. I want to ensure we can use the remote to drive the volume, how would you suggest we extend the HDMI from the TV to the nearest cubboard 6m away

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @jk81

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. Let me share some inputs about Sonos Amp placement.

You can place Sonos Amp just about anywhere — in an electronics rack, on a shelf, or on a credenza with your TV.

• Rack-mounted
    • Amp mounts perfectly in any electronics rack.
    • Place two Amps side by side in a 2U rack.
    • Place four Amps in a 3U rack.
  • Placed on a credenza
    • Place horizontally on a stable and level surface at least 3 in / 50 mm from the TV.
    • Don’t block the TV’s IR sensor.
    • If put on a shelf, place at the front and keep 3" (minimum) clearance on all sides.
    • Don’t block the front of Amp so you can reach the touch controls.

For the HDMI cable, the recommended length is 4 to 5 meters from the TV. A longer HDMI cable may cause delay and audio dropouts. We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide additional information about this. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.