Skip to main content

Hi guys! I am planning the audio setup in my new house which is under construction and I have some questions about the Sonos Amp. The room is an open space living/dining/kitchen area. This is my first personal encounter with Sonos products and their app.

- I will have one Amp powering two in ceiling speakers at 45 degree (vaulted ceilings) as fronts, connected to the TV through HDMI Arc.

- Another Amp with two In ceiling speakers as rear channels (45 degree, vaulted ceiling)

- The Amp powering the front speakers will also be connected to a SVS SB-1000 pro.

Other than this I will have two more Amps powering another four in ceiling speakers and one more SVS SB-1000 pro. This will be in the other half of the open area for music only and it will be set in “dual mono mode”.

The question I have is if I will be able to set the two amps connected to the tv to “dual mono mode” when I play music through the whole system?

Will they work as a dedicated 4.1 system when they are playing signals from the HDMI and simultaneously work in “dual mono mode” when I switch over to stream music to them together with the rest of the amps?

See picture for further explanation.

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks and cheers from Sweden 🇸🇪

You will be able to set the Amps to Dual Mono anytime, but you still will have to manually disable the setting in the app every time you want the Amps to send a stereo signal again.

You will be able to set the Amps to Dual Mono anytime, but you still will have to manually disable the setting in the app every time you want the Amps to send a stereo signal again.

Hi!

So if I have the Amp:s in Dual Mono when recieving signals through the HDMI ARC, It will play in mono?

In the manual it says:

“Change from stereo to mono

Amp plays audio in stereo by default. You can change the sound settings for the room associated

with the Amp so that it plays in two mono channels when playing music.”

I am reacting to the “when playing music” part. It sounds like the Dual Mono setting only affect the music streaming?

I just need to get this straight before I invest a ton of money :) 

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe that in Dual Mono mode the Amps will still send a mono signal to all speakers even while connected to a TV via HDMI ARC and playing TV audio.

“When in this mode, a mono signal is sent to all speakers regardless of connection to an L or R terminal.”

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3626?language=en_US

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe in Dual Mono mode the Amps will still send a mono signal to all speakers even while connected to a TV via HDMI ARC and playing TV audio.

“When in this mode, a mono signal is sent to all speakers regardless of connection to an L or R terminal.”

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3626?language=en_US

Okej, thank you. But I have to be certain. Does anybody else knows?

Hello @Lind-Wall , the option to enable Dual Mono whilst the Sonos Amp is configured for TV(HDMI) will be disabled.

Hi @Sotiris C. 

So I Will not be able to use it in the configuration that I have planned? 

That’s a bummer :/

@Lind-Wall good news! Just received confirmation that Dual Mono setting does work with HDMI so you should be able to have that configuration. Apologies for the wrong information on my previous reply.

Bare in mind that when you want to have all speakers playing music you will need to group them via the Sonos app, so there will be some interaction with the app, as it can’t happen automatically.

@Sotiris C. 

Thats good news! Thanks for replying :)

Just so we understand each other.

1. When sound is coming from TV via HDMI through Amp, I want stereo through the red speakers and surround through the blue speakers (see picture in first post)
  2. When I stream music via the Sonos App to the these to amps powering the red and blue speakers, I want it to be Dual Mono.

I just want it to be dual mono only when streaming music. As I understand it, this is possible? :) 

@Lind-Wall You understood correctly, it is possible, but you will need to adjust the Dual Mono setting manually when switching between TV and Music streaming on the Sonos Amps with the red and blue speakers from your uploaded picture.