Sonos AMP eArc explosions in films seem to distort badly

• 21 December 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Amp (latest gen) hooked up to a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers.  Most of the time it all sounds great however when I’m watching films and have it at about 50% volume explosions in films sounds very distorted and clipped.  This didn’t happen when I used the same speakers with my marantz amp and optical feed from the TV.

I’m using eArc to feed the Sonos Amp.

Any ideas?  It really spoils a lot of action films.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User829911.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me check it for you.

To better understand, I need to ask a few more details, and the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem. 

• May I know what source you are playing the audio from? Examples: Cable box, Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, built-in TV apps for streaming services
  • Can you provide us the make and model number of the TV as well as the current audio output settings? (PCM, DTS, or Dolby Digital)
  • Please confirm how the source devices are connected to the TV.

Kindly replicate the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Which Mordaunt Short speakers do you have? They are pretty stingy with their specs but some mention 89 dB sensitivity which isn’t great.

Try here: https://thehometheaterdiy.com/speaker-specs-explained/

Which Mordaunt Short speakers do you have? They are pretty stingy with their specs but some mention 89 dB sensitivity which isn’t great.

Try here: https://thehometheaterdiy.com/speaker-specs-explained/

Hi, I have the Aviano 1 bookshelf speakers: https://www.hifix.co.uk/mordaunt-short-aviano-1-bookshelf-speakers-pair

They have served me well until I paired them with the sonos amp.  I don’t mind if I have to change them I just want to be sure before I do!

Hi @User829911.

To better understand, I need to ask a few more details, and the more information we can gather will help us resolve the problem. 

• May I know what source you are playing the audio from? Examples: Cable box, Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, built-in TV apps for streaming services
  • Can you provide us the make and model number of the TV as well as the current audio output settings? (PCM, DTS, or Dolby Digital)

Kindly replicate the issue, then submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app shortly when it happens, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system as well as the status of the devices, it will help in identifying what's possibly causing the issue.

Thanks for getting back to me, the TV is Samsung UE50TU8000KXXU, all sources are HDMI.  Audio options are only PCM or Auto (pass through is greyed out).  It happens regardless of source (built in Amazon Prime, SkyHD). I took a diagnostic 966233224 when it did it last but I will try and get some better examples as we watch films over Christmas.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @User829911.

Thanks for getting back to me, the TV is Samsung UE50TU8000KXXU, all sources are HDMI.  Audio options are only PCM or Auto (pass through is greyed out).  It happens regardless of source (built in Amazon Prime, SkyHD). I took a diagnostic 966233224 when it did it last but I will try and get some better examples as we watch films over Christmas.

Thanks for your help.

Also under 816721197