Answered

Sonos Amp decoding LPCM multichannel?

• 11 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 15 replies

Hi everyone,

I am unsure when did this happen but my Sonos Amp can decode LPCM multichannel. 
I realised this with my PS5 that was set up in LPCM and I was still getting Dolby Digital 5.1.

To make sure I tried my Nintendo Switch and yes I now have surrounds working as surrounds, on the Sonos app it says Dolby Digital 5.1. 
My Sony X950h is set to audio pass through.

Could any of the Sonos team member explains this? 

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by ant0 11 October 2021, 10:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge

Here is Dolby Digital showing while playing Mario Kart.

Badge

Hi @Jeff S, could you help to understand what is going on? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ant0 

Thanks for your post!

In all likelihood, your TV is encoding the LPCM into Dolby Digital as it knows through the CEC connection what kind of codecs the Amp is capable of playing, despite being set to passthrough. I presume therefore that the TV only actually passthrough-s when it knows the connected device is capable of accepting the original stream. Which, in the Amp’s case, it is not.

I hope this answers your query.

Badge

Hi @Corry P !

Thank you for getting back to me, if you’re saying that the Sonos Amp can definitely not accept LPCM then the TV must do the work, this is nice to know.

For the community that might be reading, my TV is a Sony X950H from 2020 and the Sonos Amp is plugged into the eArc hdmi.

Thanks again Corry