Sonos Amp best option?

• 11 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I recently purposed the sonos amp but I am wondering if it was the right move.  So my set up - Ive got a living room with five speakers / sub with the speakers already in the ceiling (wired to an amplifier).  I recently purchased the port to run those five speakers and its been working great.  I also have two ceiling speakers in my master bedroom that are hard wired to the same location as the other give.  The problem ive run into is my receiver only is a 5.1 so I cannot run the two in my bedroom which I definitely want to do.  So, I bought the sonos amp for those two speakers but it wasn’t cheap and might be overkill? 

I was wondering - would I be better off buying a new high end 7.1 receiver and just running all of the speakers off the receiver via the port?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi there @ahernetj, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Both of the scenarios you’ve said are great but it’s still within your preference, the main difference between the Sonos Port and the Sonos Amp is that you need a Pre Amp for your Sonos Port. getting a 7.1 receiver is a great idea. to have it all connected on there. But since you already have the Sonos Amp, you can play around with the setup and check what would suit you most. But we can also wait for recommendations and suggestions from our other Sonos community users who may have the same kind of setup as yours. So they can share their experience with their setup.

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

I went with the 7 channel learning the option of 7 channel stereo and its been working great thus far!  I feel like the sonos amp is awesome but for the price and what I wanted the receiver was a better fit for me.  Thanks for the assistance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @ahernetj, thanks for the update. You may observe it for now and If you have any questions or run into any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to assist you.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.