Answered

sonos 5.1 setup

• 4 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Newbie here

i want to group sonos arc, sonos sub, sonos amp and a pair of sonos ceiling speakers to make a 5.1 setup for both my TV and music. I’ve heard sparingly that there may be a delay in TV audio etc.

Please advise if this is doable and recommended.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 4 February 2023, 18:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

When set up as a 5.1 system, there is no delay.  A 5.1 system is a single room. The only delay in TV sources is when you group two separate rooms together. 

Sonos has some specific terms to be aware of, but your system, when ‘bonded’ together, should make a 5.1 system. All those speakers become a single ‘room’ in the Sonos software. 

The Sonos Arc is your front three channels, the Sonos Amp would power the two surround speakers.

The ‘delay’ you’ve read about is only when grouping that ‘room’ with another Sonos ‘room’ when playing the TV. There is no delay when streaming music, and never within that single room. I usually encourage people, once they’ve set up the system, to go into the surround settings, and switch those rear speakers to be ‘full’ rather than ‘ambient’ for music play back. That way those rear speakers act as normal stereo speakers, rather than just support speakers for the Arc. 

Edit….I had a lot more typing to do than @jgatie, but we agree ;)

Thanks folks!