Question

Something I just noticed?

• 2 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I’ve only had my Sonos Arc and Sub(Gen3) for two days and I noticed something that I can’t explain.  Temporarily I have my old PS3 hooked up to play DVD and Blu-Rays and I noticed when I play a Blu-Ray and check the Sonos S2 app, under about system, it shows audio output as only PCM 2.0 but the sound is full and the sub is working so I think I’m getting 5.1 despite the readout on the app. I tried both bitstream and LPCM on the PS3 but the app still reads PCM 2.0.  Also, when I played an old DVD (Independence Day) I found that Bitstream produced a much better sound than LPCM and the Sonos app said Multichannel PCM 5.1.  Could someone please help me understand this, I expected Blu-Rays to show 5.1 as well.  Could it be the PS3 or a bug in the app?  Thank you for any light you can shed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gildy.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

Blu-ray discs commonly use the DTS audio format which is not supported by Sonos. Some Blu-ray players and game consoles have the ability to transcode DTS into Dolby Digital 5.1, which Sonos supports. Please consult your Blu-ray player’s manual or manufacturer for specific instructions and settings. 

You can find more information on our support article about TV requirements for Sonos home theater speakers.

Let me know how that goes.