Solving the 5.1, DTS issues with the Playbar

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

205 replies

[QUOTE=655321;193973]Hi Racin,

great hint but unfortunately this is not a solution (Oppo player), but a very expensive work-around for Sonos' design flaw.

The only real solution can come from Sonos with new firmware and added DTS .

I knew when buying the sonos what its flaws were. IMO the Oppo and sonos together are the answer. Is it a perfect system? No. But with the oppo, its as near perfect as can be.
When and if sonos adds the DTS, I'l be even happier. Until then, I'l try to help any way I can those who need it.
Userlevel 1
Audio output. PCM192 for those movies that dont have a 5.1 DD option.

Thanks.

The sound is clearly inferior with PCM192. For those that have been questioning SONOS about the lack of DTS are spot on.

A $2k setup should offer more IMHO.
Userlevel 2
Hi Racin,

great hint but unfortunately this is not a solution (Oppo player), but a very expensive work-around for Sonos' design flaw.

The only real solution can come from Sonos with new firmware and added DTS support.

Let's hope they will add it asap, although it will cost them some $ they thought was easily saved by their strange decision.

It's still hard to swallow for me. A high class, very expensive surround system that is indeed capable of great sound quality was deliberately declined to reduce some $ in production.

How expensive can a DTS licence be? Even my 90 Euro LG BD player has it! Amazon lists a 84 Euro Philips receiver with DTS Support, also a 100 Euro Sony receiver, capable of DTS support.

And our 700 Euro playbar can't do it? Come on, Sonos...
Audio output. PCM192 for those movies that dont have a 5.1 DD option.
Userlevel 1
How exactly do you get the 5.1 sound from the Oppo-103 unit. I put in a blu-ray in today with the "bit stream" setup, but no sound came out.

Note: I have the toslink going from the Oppo player to my SONOS play bar.

Thanks for your help!