Sky Q Volume Control.

Badge

Just bought Beam and One SL to go with my One I bought couple of years ago. Set it up as theatre system and works well. However, when I change the volume using the Sky Q handset the Ones retain their original volume. Why do the Ones not change in sync with the Beam? Don’t want to use the app to change volume constantly as I recognise there is the group facility within the middle option on the app. Also, as I have the three units in one room, these have not been set up as a group. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Only the ‘home theater’ room’s speakers will be controlled by a TV remote, and never any other Sonos ‘rooms’. It has always been this way, unfortunately. In order to control other room’s volume, you’ll need to either use the controls on the speakers themselves, or the Sonos controller. 

Badge

Thanks Airgetlam, I thought this may be the only way but worth asking about. Much obliged for your swift response. Andy.

You’re most welcome, sorry that I didn’t have a better answer for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Corey Taylor States the system is set up as a home cinema system. If so the volume on the surrounds (One and One SL) should be controlled by the remote that is controlling the Beam. If indeed the system is set up as a home cinema "room” there should not be a group, where there's no volume control from a remote that is controlling the grouped soundbar.  @Airgetlam What am I missing here?

I think just the part where he said ‘Also, as I have the three units in one room, these have not been set up as a group.’, by which I inferred we weren’t talking about surrounds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I inferred exactly the opposite, maybe because English is not my native language ;-)

@Corey Taylor Can you clarify: are the Beam and the One (SL)'s set up as a surround system or as a group? What did you mean to set them up as?

Badge

Gents sorry for any confusion, but thanks for responding. The Beam is ARC’d to my Sony TV, and my Sky box is HDMI’d to the TV, all good. The Ones are in the same room being used as surround speakers, which works fine wirelessly. But when I use the Sky controller to lower the volume on the TV, or Beam as it is, the Ones’ volume does not lower. I can see the facility to lower the volume within the S2 app either on the Beam independently or the Ones together, or as a group volume control, but my question is why the Sky controller does not lower the Ones’ volume as well as that coming from the Beam. 

Easier to see in reality rather than typing but hope you both can understand. If there is a solution, happy to hear it. Good luck.

Thanks.

Andy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Corey Taylor Thanks for your explanation, but your situation is still not completely clear to me. When you take a look in the Sonos app under “System”, are the One (SL)’s in the same “room” as the Beam? See my room “Huiskamer”, that also contains a sub.

If so, the surrounds should follow the volume commands your remote is sending to the Beam.

Maybe you can post a screenshot of your page “System”?

Badge

Living room and Lounge are the same room. The reason I differentiated is so that I could see which was the Beam and which were the Ones. 

Badge

And the second half of the screenshot, but I think I can see where you are coming from now.

Badge

Plus:

Badge

And finally:

Ah, as 106rallye surmised, those Ones are not bonded to the Beam as surrounds. You have them set up as a separate room, and are grouping them. When the Ones are bonded as surrounds, you’ll see something like (room name for Beam) (+LS, +RS) or something like that. I’m not at home to check, but the surrounds will be listed as part of the room name.

If you look at your Lounge, and click on the +Set Up Surrounds, you would be able to follow that process to make the Ones actually bond to your Beam as surrounds, and get the benefit of 5.0 sound. And have those ones be controlled at the same time as the Beam. 

Badge

Thanks guys, I could not have done it without you. Took a while, don't know why, but got there in the end.

It was all @106rallye’s keen intuition :)