Question

Should I hardwired soundbar & tv?

• 8 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi,

I currently have 2 Play1s running as surrounds via ethernet connection, then a soundbar running on what I presume is Sonosnet. I would like to free up my wifi network as much as possable therefore I am considering hardwiring the TV into the soundbar then hardwiring the bar back to the network switch. Is there any benifits from doing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Wired is always more reliable than wireless. The only problem you can run into is if STP is not supported by your router or switch, more than one wired Sonos component can cause a network storm. But since both your surrounds are already wired, it seems STP is not an issue.
Badge
Ok great, so the soundbar can support my TV's ethernet path on the other port then?
Ok great, so the soundbar can support my TV's ethernet path on the other port then?

Essentially, when the Playbar is wired to the network, the other Ethernet port is just a switch. You should get close to full throughput (100 mbps) through that connection (depending, of course, on overall network performance).
Badge
Ok great, thank you for your advice.