Question

Setup for Dolby Atmos with Arc and Receiver

• 24 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello,

Apologies if this is answered somewhere already, but I haven’t been able to find an answer to this specific question neither here nor on Reddit.

I’m a long time Sonos user, and good enough when it comes to tech and gadgets, but by no means am I a professional.  I’ve recently purchased the Arc for my living room (upgraded from the Beam) and have the full Sonos 5.1 setup for it.  My TV is from late 2017 (Vizio P65-E1) and from what I read, it will pass through Dolby Digital and DTS Surround.  I watch content on an Apple TV 4K and plays games on an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro.  With every device, I am getting great sounding 5.1 surround sound.  Now, I have been trying to see if I can get Atmos working on the Arc.

It seems, from what I’ve read, this isn’t quite possible on my current setup.  I would need to plug my Apple TV directly into the Arc and then plug that into the TV.  That isn’t possible with only HDMI port on the Arc, so my question is this:

Would I be able to get Atmos sound by purchasing an Atmos ready receiver, plugging all of my devices into that, linking my Sonos via the Connect, and then plugging the receiver in (out) to the TV?  Would the receiver take the audio signals from the various Atmos ready devices (game consoles, Apple TV) and then translate it for the Arc and TV to be played back, or is this just not an option?

I’m trying to see if I have any options other than upgrading my TV down the road once eARC becomes a more widely available port.  I already know the TV won’t transcode the Atmos signal on its own as even playing Atmos content directly from one of the built-in streaming apps doesn’t yield the correct output.

Any insight is very much appreciated!

~Athenross

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Look into the Arcana by HDfury. This is the solution to your lack of Atmos issues.