Answered

Setup Directions: BenQ TH671ST + AMP + Chromecast

• 26 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I have a BenQ TH671ST 1080p projector installed into my ceiling. I currently have an audio cord running from the projector to a less than optimal sound bar that isn't stereo. I have a Sonos AMP powering two outdoor speakers. I also want to power all my streaming through my Chromecast or Fire Stick.

With this setup, is there a way to get great STEREO audio, with no lag, to either two Sonos speakers and/or a Sonos Sound Bar? What do I need to accomplish this and to set this up?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 October 2021, 14:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @speabody 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As that projector has no HDMI-ARC socket, low latency isn’t going to be an easy option with a Sonos Amp. In order to prepare audio sharing and synchronisation on the network for multiroom playback, the Line-In input of the Amp is delayed by at least 75ms. The only way to bypass this is to use the HDMI socket on the Amp, and that expects a HDMI-ARC signal from the display device. The HDMI input is not prepared for multiroom playback before being passed to the amplifier circuit, so is much quicker to play on the Amp (and Sub and Surrounds, if connected).

The easiest way to get stereo audio would be to use the Line-In on the Amp and adjust the audio delay on the projector to re-sync the audio and picture (you’d need to advance the audio, which may be described as a negative audio delay). Any other Sonos device on your network could play this feed, in sync.

If the projector doesn’t have this audio delay adjustment option, then you’ll want to use HDMI and will need a device like the HD Fury Arcana (not supported by Sonos, but many in the Community use it successfully) to provide the HDMI-ARC signal the Amp requires. The advantage of this is no lip-sync adjustment will be required and you’ll have the option of playing Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks (and DTS soon).

A Sonos Arc or Beam (Gen 2) would need the same HDMI-ARC feed, but they can also use eARC to support higher-quality streams, like Atmos (compressed Atmos is available over ARC, but the Arcana supports eARC and you’d need one, so this is beside the point). Neither the Beam nor the Arc have RCA Line-In, so the audio output on the projector would not be of use.

If an Arc or Beam were used, the Amp (or a pair of One SLs) could be bonded to it to provide surround sound. If the input is stereo, then you’ll only hear a little audio coming from the surrounds, not the same audio as the soundbar plays.

I hope this helps.

Badge +1

This is so helpful. Really appreciate this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @speabody 

You are very welcome - I hope you figure out a solution you are happy with!

Badge +1

Ok, totally novice question, but I don't NEED to use my AMP, do I? I'm not totally sure why I thought I needed to use my AMP. Not even sure what the function of incorporating the AMP does here.

To set up my home theatre (no need to tie in external speakers tied to the AMP), don't I just need to setup like this:

Benq Projector > ~20ft 18Gps HDMI Cord > HDFury Arcana > Sonos Arc. Than the Sonos Woofer and SLs just run on wifi? And I control it all through my Sonos app. Feedback?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @speabody 

Officially, the Arcana is not supported, but yes, that should work without issue. You could also use your Amp as surrounds instead of the SLs, if you wanted to. It really depends on speaker placement, and your preference.