Samsung UE50JU6800

• 29 April 2018
  • 4 replies

I can’t get 5.1 output from my Samsung UE50JU6800k tv. I have the Soundbar connected via digital optical cable but when I check the settings in Sonos app it says stereo. Does anyone know the settings to get 5.1 sound output please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
When your tv is playing a 5.1 source, only then you can set the tv to output 5.1
Which may require looking at the settings of the device that's feeding your TV, like a cable box, DVD player, game system, etc. They have to be set to send Dolby Digital to the TV, so the TV (when set properly) can send that signal out through the optical port to the PLAYBAR. But if the TV is only receiving stereo, it will only pass through stereo, and will not upconvert.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a Samsung TV of the same family, I believe.
That TV will pass DD5.1 from it's own tuner to the Optical out (Here in the UK that means an HD channel).It will also pass DD5.1 from on-board apps - Netflix etc.

But it will NOT pass DD5.1 from a connected device - so I use a Satellite PVR connected to the TV via HDMI. When that is sending DD5.1 to the TV the output is Stereo to the optical audio out no matter what settings are used.

I connect the optical outs from my connected inputs directly to the Playbar via a manual optical switch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Many Samsung TVs refuse to emit 5.1 over optical for hdmi inputs. I added one of these to force mine to do so: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SH3CL