Question

Samsung TV QN82Q80R keeps reverting to TV speakers when I turn it on

• 19 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Just got the Arc and it sounds great.  Configured to HDMI 4 ARC output of TV.  However after setting the TV sound to  Receiver (HDMI) and turning on Dolby Atmos Compatability under Expert Sound Settings and then turning off the TV and then back on the sound setting reverts back to TV Speaker.  The Arc is powered on during this sequence.  The time between on and off does not seem to make a difference as I have tried everything from a few seconds to several hours.  It always reverts back to the internal speakers.  Any ideas??  This is a pain trying to train the spouse on how to fix this every time she turns on the TV.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Check your TV for a firmware upgrade, sounds like it needs one.

I checked for a upgrade just before writing this post.  My TV is up to date.  Thanks for responding to my post.

Is CEC turned on?

Yes CEC Anynet is turned on.  Thanks for the reply to my post.

Seems like an issue with either your particular TV or firmware update, otherwise we’d be seeing a plethora of support requests over it. I would have though controlav’s suggestion would have fixed it, but since it didn’t, I’d recommend two things. First, reboot your TV by unplugging it from the wall for two minutes, and see if that helps. Other than that, I’d call Samsung. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I have the QN75Q80R and a Beam.  From my other posts, you might have read the problems I have with Audio Lag from that HDMI ARC port.  So I’m using the Optical port instead.  But just to see if I had the problem you’re describing I reconnected it my Beam.  I’m sorry to report that I don’t have an answer for you because my Beam stayed on TV.  If there are other settings you want me to check, please let me know.  By the way, when you are selected on TV are you seeing the audio lag the video.  It’s very subtle maybe a 1/10th of a second.  And it gets worse over the time the TV is on.

Michael, thanks for your reply.  I have not noticed any audio lag with my configuration.  Using the optical cable with the Arc eliminates the possibility of the Arc seeing a ATMOS signal according to what I have read.  My problem is that when the TV is configured to use the ARC HDMI path for audio it works great.  If I turn the TV off and later turn it back on the TV reverts to the internal speakers and has lost the ARC HDMI path and must be configured again.

I had a similar problem with my Samsung TV and sound bar and was at wits end to resolve it. It turns out my android box was messing up the anynet communication. Once this was disconnected from the HDMI port, the issue was resolved.