Samsung TV, Logitech Remote, How to control volume without "Not Available" message?

• 23 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Have a Sonos Beam, absolutely love it.

When I turn the Volume from TV Speakers to External Speakers on the Samsung TV, every time I use my Logitech remote, a "Not Available" message displays, in the middle of the TV screen.

I've followed the instructions to set up my remote to control the Beam volume. I've also followed the instructions here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2072?language=en_US and have added the beam to my MyHarmony logitech account. But, it still insists on controlling both the TV and the Beam when the volume button is pushed, which means I've had to resort to keeping the TV speakers on low, which really makes the sound quality of the Beam diminish. I've even tried plugging in headphones in the audio jack, only to realize that it plays through both the audio out jack and the TV. :-/

In the MyHarmony app, there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it from controlling the TV volume.

I've read tons of forums on this and short of unscrewing the back of the TV and disconnecting my TV's speakers, is there anything else I can do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Macandsly. I don't have a direct solution to this myself, but what is the exact make and model of your TV? This might help others and myself find a solution with you. Also, if the error message you are seeing onscreen is simply telling you "not available" because the speakers are disabled - this is fairly common. There is no way to remove it. It sounds as though, as a work around, you are leaving the speakers active, but low, so that no message appears. Am I correct?
Hi Edward,
Thanks for the reply - yes, our choices are, use our phones as a volume control for the beam or use the universal Logitech Harmony remote and have the Not Available message appear every time I press the volume control. I tried Sonos' instructions for that remote, no luck.
Our TV is a Samsung LCD TV series 530.
Would love to not buy a new TV for ourselves.
I guess we're just trying to figure out if buying a new universal remote will solve this situation.