Samsung Remote won't control volume for Netflix or other apps

• 27 July 2022
  • 2 replies

I have Samsung smart TV and Sonos Playbar. Never could get Samsung remote to control volume on Playbar, just used Directv remote.  We recently “cut the cord” and are just streaming now.  We finally figured out Samsung remote to control volume, or so we thought. Turns out it controls volume when watching live TV through antenna, but it will not adjust volume for any streaming service (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Roku).  I can still adjust volume through the app on my phone, but there are other people in the house who want to watch TV when I’m not home.  How do I get the remote to consistently control volume for all apps? 

2 replies

You could just use ANY ‘infrared’ remote to control the volume of the Playbar, thats if you have another remote about the place?.. Setup is outlined here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Not sure why it would control apps differently, but personally I would go for a streaming box to handle all your apps and let your “smart” tv just be dumb. Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, etc., there’s tons of them, then all your streaming apps have the same source and output that will follow whatever you set the format of the box to be. For example I have an Apple TV 4K and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, BritBox, Apple TV+, and iTunes movies/tv on there and get 5.1 audio the same from all of them since the box is converting on output when sending to the tv (which in turn passes the 5.1 via optical to the Sonos PlayBase). Plus, if you ever upgrade your TV, you just move the box and everything comes with it, you can even take it on vacation with you.