Question

Samsung Q9FN passing through DD+ into the Sonos Arc and getting Dolby Atmos

• 12 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 9 replies

I have Sky Q 2TB and 4KUHD Blu-ray connected to my Samsung QE55Q9FNA.

When I look at my TV’s Digital Output Audio Format the message says      “ The Dolby digital + option is only available via ARC (HDMI) for external devices that support the format”.

Does that mean that If I buy a Sonos ARC and attach it to the TV via the HDMI ARC -  I will be able to get (Dolby Digital Plus) Dolby Atmos ?. 

I understand that as I do not have eARC I cannot get the Dolby TrueHD Dolby Atmos.

Many Thanks,

Jan.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Have the Arc connected to a Q950R. I can confirm that you get Atmos DD+ via Sky Q, have the same box as you. For this to work originally I had to play a UHD movie with Atmos soundtrack, I chose Life of Pets 2 for some reason! While this was playing I went into expert settings and changed to DD+ which then gave me Atmos. I also get Atmos with the native Netflix app but have yet to check with Prime Video, Disney+ not streaming with Atmos over here. One thing I can’t get to work is Atmos with the Xbox One but I think that is because of the limitation with not having eARC.

Badge +1

Thank you for your response - much appreciated.  

I don't know if your tv is as bit newer than the Q9F - I'll have a look.  

How have you found the Sonos Arc ?. 

From what I have viewed the sound is very good, an upgrade on the Playbar. I use it with a sub and two Play Ones and after tuning with Trueplay it sounded really impressive. I’ll have a proper play with it this weekend. My tv is the 2019 flagship model but all Samsung tv’s seem to play the same from what I’ve been reading. Check out the Arc thread on a/v forums as they seemed to have covered every tv possible, it’s about five or six threads down:-

https://www.avforums.com/forums/soundbars-soundplates-soundbases.307/

Hopefully Samsung produce an eARC undate in the next firmware update then we will see the Arc’s true potential.