Answered

Samsung Frame TV and Sonos audio

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7

@CarsonPlower @Airgetlam 

I guess the “Ah’s” have decided :smile:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well, I already have the playbar. It’s the TV that would be new - and not as easy to remove and return. Rather select a TV with a proven track record of compatibility...if there’s enough feedback these two pieces of equipment don’t play well together. 

@CarsonPlower

Ah...I see your conundrum :thinking:   I don’t know where you are located but if in the US; Best Buy and even Amazon (with purchase of Enhanced Delivery) allow returns. 

As a matter of point your comment below was not exactly accurate regarding setup.

thanks - My plan WOULD be to use optical from Playbar to the new Frame TV. (Not switcher needed.) And separate HDMI to handle video. Typical set up. But my concern is the audio being out of sync, per discussion about Samsung Frame’s potential incompatibility with Sonos. 

You would not be using a separate HDMI to handle video with a “typical setup”. You would be sending audio and video together over HDMI to the TV from a source such as a cable box. After data reaches the TV it then separates the audio to send it to the TV internal speakers or by direction in the audio menu to a soundbar over optical. 

The possible solution I mentioned if using more than one source (i.e. cable box, game station and video streaming service) would take the audio and video from the source(s) via HDMI and send audio to the Playbar and video to the TV. In that setup you WOULD have a separate HDMI video stream sans audio. 

If only one source (i.e. cable box) the audio could be sent direct to the Playbar over optical and the video to the TV. Thus eliminating audio being sent over optical from the TV and no additional signal processing. Note: If the cable box has HDMI and optical out (most do) then a switch would not be required.

I know it’s a bit convoluted at first but does make sense after some thought :thinking::relaxed:

Ah, ok. I had re-read that a couple times to absorb it, but I believe I get it. Another potential solve. Thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

yes, good point about the 2020 model not having enough feedback. 

I suppose I don’t mind the switch scenario if need be. But what’s the principle behind that solve? Somehow the audio is processed at a slightly different speed by adding the switch as an extra “go between element” and it tends to solve for the out of sync? appreciate your perspective. 

Userlevel 7

Well, I already have the playbar. It’s the TV that would be new - and not as easy to remove and return. Rather select a TV with a proven track record of compatibility...if there’s enough feedback these two pieces of equipment don’t play well together. 

@CarsonPlower

Ah...I see your conundrum :thinking:   I don’t know where you are located but if in the US; Best Buy and even Amazon (with purchase of Enhanced Delivery) allow returns. 

As a matter of point your comment below was not exactly accurate regarding setup.

thanks - My plan WOULD be to use optical from Playbar to the new Frame TV. (Not switcher needed.) And separate HDMI to handle video. Typical set up. But my concern is the audio being out of sync, per discussion about Samsung Frame’s potential incompatibility with Sonos. 

You would not be using a separate HDMI to handle video with a “typical setup”. You would be sending audio and video together over HDMI to the TV from a source such as a cable box. After data reaches the TV it then separates the audio to send it to the TV internal speakers or by direction in the audio menu to a soundbar over optical. 

The possible solution I mentioned if using more than one source (i.e. cable box, game station and video streaming service) would take the audio and video from the source(s) via HDMI and send audio to the Playbar and video to the TV. In that setup you WOULD have a separate HDMI video stream sans audio. 

If only one source (i.e. cable box) the audio could be sent direct to the Playbar over optical and the video to the TV. Thus eliminating audio being sent over optical from the TV and no additional signal processing. Note: If the cable box has HDMI and optical out (most do) then a switch would not be required.

I know it’s a bit convoluted at first but does make sense after some thought :thinking::relaxed:

Edit: My “Ah” and that of @Airgetlam’s was strictly coincidence :laughing:

Ah, I see. I was thinking backwards.

Do you have a retailer near you that would allow you to do some testing?

For me, if I was sold on the TV, I’d be willing to take the extra step, if necessary, to use an HDMI switch.  I would think it relatively easy to hide. 

I just don’t think there are enough users here who have purchased the 2020 model to be able to report one way or the other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So purchase one from the Sonos website. If you find there is an issue, and you can’t resolve it in the myriad ways that have been discussed, you can avail yourself of their rather generous return policy.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Userlevel 7

Hi @CarsonPlower 

The only way I’ve read to correct the problem for any TV is to send Audio direct from the source to the Playbar and Playbase via optical or HDMI to Beam and Sonos Amp. The video would be sent to TV via HDMI. *

You would need a device similar to the one in the link (HDMI/Optical Audio Extractor):

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_10?crid=9XNUBVPYQXCQ&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1585746500&sprefix=hdmi+optical%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-10

* There is also a HDMI/Optical adapter available for Beam (included) and Sonos Amp (optional purchase) via Sonos.

Hello - I recognize there’s been some discussion about this here, but not recently. I am favoring the purchase of a 2020 Samsung Frame TV. But, have seen quite a bit of discussion about audio / sync issues with this particular TV (and other Samsungs). I am wondering if there are any folks who can cite clean, issue-free audio using a playbar The Samsung frame. Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a Frame, but have never had any sync issues between my Playbar and Samsung TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

There are several new sizes for 2020 - I was looking at the 65 inch for 2020. However, as mentioned, there’s fair amount of commentary from Sonos owners about audio sync issues (with earlier model years).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is there a 2020 Frame, or are you planning to buy a 2019 model?