samsung frame /sonos

• 30 March 2018
  • 9 replies

I have a Samsung frame tv and my sonos playbar is connected via an optical cable, the only option. I have set the the TV to external speakers to use the sonos devices. The only problem is I can only adjust volume using my iphone and the sonos app. Samsung tell me the only way I could use their remote to vontrol volume is if the playbar was connected to an hdmi port

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
This is BS. You can set the Playbar to respond to the TV remote's up/down buttons, it has an IR receiver.
how do i fix that ?
i have it over apple tv / now i can change the volume but can't control apple tv
thank you controlav
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I am confused now. What has Apple TV got to do with your Samsung? To set up your remote see https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4033/~/setting-up-a-new-tv-or-cable-remote-with-the-sonos-playbar-or-playbase
ok,
sonos will not work if you follow the instruction you sent. sonos has to be installed as a pioneer home theater on option 5 and paired with apple tv / by doing that the Samsung remote control the volume but by doing that the remote doesn't work with apple anymore
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To be honest, with the newer Samsung TVs with the Smart Remote, you can tell the TV you have any kind of "home theater system" hooked up, as long as you tell the TV it's using Optical instead of HDMI (because if you tell it HDMI, it'll try to send commands over HDMI instead of Infrared). Then once you've set it up on the TV, program your Sonos to accept the IR codes through the TV setup process. For a long time, I had told my TV that I had a Sony receiver instead of Sonos, since that's what I had previously (keeping me from having to re-program my universal remote as well)... and it worked just fine.

The trick with Samsung's Smart Remote is that once you add a home theater system, you have to link it with every other device or you'll only be able to control the volume on certain inputs. So you then need to go to your cable/satellite box and add the home theater system to that... and for the game console... and for the Apple TV... if you want to use the Samsung remote to control the volume no matter what you're watching.
hi Mike
i have a frame tv newest samsung
im connecting using optical and i don't have a cable box all app over wi-fi
i installed the sonos bar and can't control the volume using the samsung remote ( the only way is to use my phone with the sonos app)
if i link to the apple tv , i can use the remote but cannot longer control apple tv only volume
how do i get sonos to accept ir codes?
thanks for you help
controlav
if i install sonos bar as a home theater / the samsung smart remote ( white ) that comes with a frame tv does no control the volume
even after getting the app the learn the remote doesn't work
the only way i was able to adjust the volume was by adding as a pioneer home theater and paring with apple tv
by doing that i cannot control apple tv but i can adjust the volume
also i don't have a cable box or any direct tv all channel are app over wifi
thank you for you help
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The only way to get the remote to send IR codes is to play with the universal remote functionality. I don't have a Frame TV, but I have an 8-series TV with probably the same Bluetooth Smart Remote, and I followed the Sonos steps and have no problem getting my remote to send IR codes to my Sonos Playbar.
Badge
The way I’m controlling the volume on my Samsung Frame / Playbase (+ 2 Play:1 satellites) is by using an old (recycled) generic Samsung IR remote that I use only for volume control.
Changing up/down the volume from that remote will affect BOTH Sonos speakers and the Frame. Then, if necessary, I have to turn back to zero the Frame’s volume, using the Samsung Frame white mini remote.

That’s cumbersome but often easier than starting the Sonos app, or reaching for an up/down volume button on any of the 3 Sonos speakers.

As a side note, as there is a slight delay between the Frame sound and the Sonos setup, adding a bit (according to one’s taste) of volume on the Frame will create a nice additional immersive reverb effect, when watching high-quality concerts (classical especially).
My 2-bit. ?