Require a Pseudo Sound Sound function on the Sonos App to be able to hear Mono or non 5.1 formatted Movies

• 3 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Require a Pseudo Sound Sound function on the Sonos App to be able to hear Mono or non 5.1 formatted Movies 

I have a complete Sonos Dobly atmos system , Sonos Arc+ Sub Gen 3, 2 x Sonos One for the rear . Howere we cannot enjoy sound on the rear sonos speakers when whatting a Mono movie or a non 5.1 TV transmission content.

Would appreciate to see this function added on and from the “Sound”>  “ Sorround Audio”  to add > “ Psuedo Souround”  I am sure this can be easily developed and implemented on the next Sonos S2  software/firmware update. Please let me know if this will be available , Appriciate, Thanks, Matt

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @bobmatt, thanks for sharing this suggestion with the community :)

While I'm not sure that a pseudo-surround would be possible with Mono audio (as it relies on making a guess at what the surrounds would play based on differences between the Left and Right audio channels, which are not present in mono audio), I'll be happy to put this forward as a feature request.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Firstly please kindly note my name is Matthew (as on file as a customer with Sonos), as i recently purchased my Sonos products, as had mentioned. 

My hope you will consider my suggestion as below:

Just like as you have, under Sonos 2 App, in “Surround Audio”, the selection button “Music Playback” > where we can select  > “Ambient” > or “Full” (the feature that can nicely play - during music playback, the surround speakers supplement with “ambient” or “full surround sound”) 

So in the same manner, you can add and another new select button

Under - “Surround Audio”, add a new button “TV Playback” > where we can also select  > “Ambient” or > “Full (Virtual or Puedo Stereo)” button

so we can listen to Movie made in Mono, and in Stereo, non 5.1, non-Dobly, non-Dolby atmos ( a new feature to that can play - during Movie soundtracks to the surround speaker supplement full-range sound) this will be a nice and required feature we kindly request for you incorporated on the next update. This feature can easily be developed and incorporated as a software update. 

I also own, my previous TV sound bar - a 5-year-old LG surround 5.1.2 soundbar, which is designed to play Dobly surround and we are also given a button on its remote to able to select to play Virtual or Puedo Stereo for movies in Mono or stereo formats. 

Also, FYI - my neighbour also owns a Panasonic TV soundbar, (4-year-old), as has the same select feature to play Virtual or Puedo Stereo for movies in Mono or stereo formats. 

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Matthew

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Another solution route could be by

As mentioned had in my previous comment is by providing in movie sound, more selection option in Movie, also like providing the same selection on Music mode selection, hence give us the selection in Movie sound the same selection provided on Music selection: hence where we can have the same select  > “Ambient” > or “Full” (the feature that can nicely play - during Moviesind playback, the surround speakers supplement with “ambient” or “full surround sound”) 

If you need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks, Matthew

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

As mentioned had in my previous comment is by providing in movie sound, more selection option in

Update:

Please kindly developed to provide in “Sound”>” Surround Audio”> “TV Playback” (a new menu) > “Full “ and “ Ambient “ or “Mono Movie sound to Full virtual/ Puedso sound sound “ selections 

Hope this is a clearer explanation of the required. 

If you need further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks, Matthew

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The mention @bobmatt will get you an attention notice. Using your real first name will not do that - and might give people some privacy concerns.

To your suggestion. I really doubt having mono or even stereo sound coming at the same volume from all sides would give me a good listening experience when watching TV. The way Sonos has chosen to handle this, makes all sounds seem like coming from the TV. That is most natural especially (but not only) for speech when watching TV..

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you for your reply.

However, I had mentioned above, all wee are asking is for a support to be able to hear Mono and Stereo sound movies to be able to hear them in surround (creat in Virtual or in Pseudo) and yes the front speakers on the Sonos ARC to work as normal with all sound and all speech to function and normal too, and with the rear portraying the sound too with the same control function able to reduce the volume level for the rear too so the sound can be balanced ( the same function as you provide on Music mode)

Aso note the Sonos Sub also is not active on Mono and Stereo Movies playback 

As I had mentioned earlier this ability and function has been provided and successfully achieved by another renowned and prominent brands on their soundbars

This function is available on LG soundbar that I have owned for more than 4 years, also on Panasonic Soundbars which my neighbour use. Also on AV separates units like Denon, NAD, Marantz, etc.. this technology and function is provided. 

Hence Sono’s can easily incorporate this quiet easily when others have done it. 

It is quite disappointing that Sonos ARC Soundbars not having these features and function hence we are stuck having to hear and unengaging un enjoyable sound production out of  Movie sound on the Sonos arc with the rear and Sub is not active,

We hope Sono’s Arc development team will hear us and take this need on board and provide their support to provide his function. We hope we don't have to replace our Sonos Arc products with other brands mentioned that have these support for our enjoyment. Or also for us not buying any Sonos products in the future. 

Thanks for hearing us and for your support.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks, 

Waiting for your earliest reply.

Regards

Bobmatt