Answered

Rears play for PCM 2.0 sources, how?

• 8 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I thought I understood this, but clearly not. I was watching the Miami F1 GP on Apple TV, Sonos app reports PCM 2.0 (as expected from the F1TV app), on my Playbar+P3s system, and I was clearly getting engine sounds and other ambient noises from the rears (though not the commentary which was from the front). I’m not complaining, but how does this work for a PCM 2.0 signal?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 8 May 2023, 16:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Depending on the source, PCM 2.0 can contain some rear info matrixed in via “Dolby Pro-Logic”, an early surround sound standard using audio tricks to fold surround into a 2.0 mix.  Some 2.0 source TV does use this ancient standard.

Also, Sonos will attempt to simulate surround in the rears from 2.0 sources.  It’s not very effective, but the sounds are there if you listen closely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @jgatie whatever device is simulating the rear channels (Sonos or the ATV) it greatly improved the experience.

Despite the overwhelming performance of Red Bull….but I digress. ;)