Question

Rear Speaker Placement Distancing

• 14 April 2020
  • 4 replies

I’ve just ordered a couple of Ones to pair with my Beam for Surround. That being said, now I’ve done so I’m a little confused as to where to place them. I have the TV on one wall, with the Beam by it, seating position in front. 

I considered getting stands to put directly behind the sofa, but I’m not a fan of how the wires would have to run from one of the existing outlets. either by the TV or the back of the room to get them powered and they’d probably look a little out of place. 

I’m currently thinking it may be better to place them on top of the counter at the back of the room, ~3 metres behind the seating position. Would that work or would they really be too far away to be effective?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It’s really a personal preference kind of thing, why don’t you try it, and see if it works for you? I’m pretty sure the audio police won’t break down your door ;)

It’s really a personal preference kind of thing, why don’t you try it, and see if it works for you? I’m pretty sure the audio police won’t break down your door ;)

Thanks Bruce, I’m mainly thinking that if someone can say that having them on the unit at the back of the room is too far back for it to be an effective solution, then I’ll either return the Ones when they arrive (have to remain sealed). Either that or I’ll have to come up with a creative solution for the wiring as I can’t put it under floor etc. but I can’t imagine it’ll look great and the stands will likely get in the way. 

Unfortunate thing is that the power outlets are only on opposite ends of the room. 

Thanks, 

Matt

They will be fine in the rear. If the rear speakers are too close to your listening position, you will need to be sitting exactly on the “spot”. Otherwise, the closest speaker will dominate. If you watch TV alone this might not be a big deal, but if two or more will be watching, none of you will have very good surround because one speaker will dominate for each listener.

Thanks Buzz. 

Yeah I’m thinking back of the room may be the better option then compared to right behind the sofa. Just need to figure out the height as the unit I have at the moment is probably just below ear level. With the speakers on top, they should be about level.