Answered

ray and play 3

• 5 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Can I use ray with a play 3?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 November 2023, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Depends on what you mean as “use”.  If you mean to group with a Ray to play in sync for music and slightly delayed for TV?  Yes.  If you mean for surround, you would need a pair of Play:3’s.  You cannot add a single surround speaker to a Sonos soundbar. 

I’d be going for the Sonos One SL to use as surrounds, they’re much more available since they are still being manufactured. And I can’t really tell any difference between mine (I own both). Probably cheaper, although I’m not sure where I would source a pair of PLAY:3s these days. 

They both run S2, so they can be grouped. You’d need a second PLAY:3 if you planned on using the pair as surround speakers, though. Given that the PLAY:3 hasn’t been manufactured for many years might make that challenging.

Note that if grouped, the PLAY:3 will play the TV input to the Sonos Ray slightly delayed, but when streaming music, they’ll be in sync. 

Thank you. Now I know I need to buy two.

Already found $100 each. Just wanted to make sure they would work