ps5 dolby atmos with playstation 5

• 17 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi 

Sony managed finally to convert it's tempest 3d audio sound to the most used current format dolby atmos. Did you experience it? Do you think it's a great atmos experience?

I am using an arc with a sub and two symfonisk bookshelfs. I tested it with the game A plague tale requiem. I definitely could hear sound coming from the roof and generally a more spatial sound. Its more difficult to notice where the sound is exactly coming from and the overall experience is much more immersive

I am curious to know your feedback 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @Kazaria, thank you for the post!

I haven’t had much time for my PS5 due to being gifted a Nintendo Switch and exploring Zelda: Breath of the Wild recently.

I did a test drive though, switched the PS5 Audio setting to Dolby Atmos and experimented with Final Fantasy XVI. The game starts with a cut-scene so it was easy to compare the different settings.

The sound so far feels richer and definitely more immersive just as you said, with flying monsters soaring above my head around the room. I will need some more free time to check other titles such as Cyberpunk 2077 2.0 Update or Baldur’s Gate 3.

Overall I enjoyed the experience and was very surprised, I was already in love of my Sonos Arc, Sonos Sub and two Sonos One’s Home Theatre setup for making my gaming so immersive, I never thought it could get even better.

Like you, I’m curious for any feedback and maybe game recommendations to give them a try with Dolby Atmos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I've tested a few games and I'm very impressed so far

Apart from the soundstage sounded wider, like a bubble all around me, I'm also finding it easier to identify where sounds are. 

So far the most immersive game I've come across is Returnal, I highly recommend you try its Atmos audio. In the game there is almost constant rain so while playing the game it sounds like rain is falling on my head all the time and most of the enemies in the game are flying around and it sounds like they are flying all around me and over my head and the enemies shoot lazer weapons that zip across the screen , it can actually be slightly fatiguing because there is so many directional sounds going off all around but it's amazing to hear 

Hey Wondering if anyone can help me I have an arc, x 2 gen 3 subs and x2 one sl for surrounds soon to be x 2 era 300. I have done the ps5 update for Dolby audio and I was told to put my audio output device to hdmi device {av amplifier} then hdmi Device type AV Amplifier. Then changed the audio format to Dolby atmos. Which now says on my sonos app playing Dolby atmos but I have noticed in the section AV amplifier is greyed out so can’t change it to 5,1 or 7.1 when I get my era 300s. Just get a message come up when I hover over that setting saying this setting isn’t available when Dolby is the audio output format. Am I doing something wrong or it just wont come up till the era 300s are set up. Or do I have to re tune true play before I did the ps5 Dolby atmos update? 

Thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Same here you can't choose channels after selecting Dolby Atmos 

I assume, and if it is the case, that it's outputting Atmos in a DD+ container which would mean you don't need to select channels, the container should contain audio data for the maximum possible channels, which is like 20 or 30 but your AV, being the Arc, should only play the channels you have, so if it's 5.1 it plays 5.1