Answered

Projector to Sonos Amp via HDMI Arc - No Sound

• 30 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Optoma UHZ50 Projector and I just realized it has an HDMI ARC port (HDMI 1). I plugged the Apple TV into HDMI 2, and ran a new HDMI cable (this one from Amazon) from HDMI 1 (HDMI ARC) to the Sonos Amp, and there is no audio coming through. I made sure the Optoma “Audio Mode” is set to the “SPDIF/eARC” option, and I did the “TV Setup” on the Sonos app for the Amp and it says it was successful / “done” - but there’s no audio. Is there some other setting I could be missing on the Sonos? 

In the Apple TV there’s an option to select a “temporary audio source” and when I do, I can select “Living Room” which is the name of my Sonos room, but I have a feeling that’s sending the audio via Bluetooth or something, because when I switch to the Fire TV it doesn’t work at all, and I don’t think the device should be selecting the audio output source - the projector should just be outputting the audio directly via the HDMI ARC, right? Am I missing something obvious here? 

icon

Best answer by Jorge B 1 December 2022, 00:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure TV Autoplay is enabled under the Amp’s settings in the Sonos app.

Did you hear a chime play out of your speakers when you finished the TV Setup process?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, yes, heard the chime. 

Userlevel 7

Do you have TV Autoplay enabled?

On the Apple TV, the Default Audio Output and Temporary Audio Output should both be set to Receiver Speakers. Under Audio Format, set Change Format to ON and New Format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok so embarrassing answer here… I simply went to “IT 101” and turned my AppleTV and my Projector off and back on, and everything worked. Suddenly “Receiver Speakers” were the default option and the audio was coming out of the Sonos Amp speakers beautifully, along with full volume control. 

Sometimes those “handshakes” need a slight nudge to start working. Not supposed to be needed….but yea. :)