Answered

Projector and Sonos Arc.

• 23 November 2020
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Has anybody set up a Sonos Arc with a projector and who can help guide me please?

Do I need a specific projector to be able to fulfil the Dolby Atmos capability?

Providing I have a projector with x2 HDMI ports; I think I am correct to believe that I need the projector to have eArc capability from one of the HDMI ports. In the absence of an eArc HDMI port; then I believe that an additional product such as the forthcoming HDFury Arcana may be required. https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/hdfury-arcana

is the Arc suitable for occasional outdoor use or in an area with high ceilings such as a barn or will the sound and the premium Atmos capability simply be ‘lost’ upwards?

Any insight / thoughts would be really helpful please. My wish is to want to use a projector plus the Sonos Arc, a Sub and two Sonos Ones.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 24 November 2020, 08:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Providing I have a projector with x2 HDMI ports; I think I am correct to believe that I need the projector to have eArc capability from one of the HDMI ports. In the absence of an eArc HDMI port; then I believe that an additional product such as the forthcoming HDFury Arcana may be required. https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/hdfury-arcana

This is mostly correct.  The Arc will work with a TV/Projector that is ARC capable as well, but eARC is the better option.  Arcana is the option without worrying about TV/Projector.

is the Arc suitable for occasional outdoor use or in an area with high ceilings such as a barn or will the sound and the premium Atmos capability simply be ‘lost’ upwards?

I can’t imagine atmos from the Arc would work very well.  It still may sound good, but not as it would in an indoor ideal sized room.

Any insight / thoughts would be really helpful please. My wish is to want to use a projector plus the Sonos Arc, a Sub and two Sonos Ones.

Thanks for this. I guess it’s a trade off with the following being accurate.

• the Sonos Arc is needed to allow sound from a projector to the Arc via HDMI
  • the Sonos Arc will work but not necessarily to full Dolby Amos capability as the sound will rise without having a ceiling to bounce off
  • the Sonos Beam as a potential alternative product to to the Arc (and without Dolby Atmos) would not connect to a projector as there is no HDMI port on a Sonos Beam

Is  this correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Beam does have an HDMI port. Playbase an Playbar where optical only, Beam and Arc are HDMI only (with an adapter for optical).

Please be aware that both the Beam and the Arc need an HDMI-ARC connection to work - most projectors are not equipped with this. For Atmos the Arc needs eARC (the Beam doesn't do Atmos). The Arcana is a solution for this.

Thanks. This is great as I didn’t appreciate that the Beam had a HDMI so thanks for correcting me.

So I now need to find a projector with a HDMI-ARC connection!!

.. I had thought that something like the following would work having two HDMIS ports https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Projector-Artlii-Energon-Support-Iron-Black/dp/B087TKBWDP however I’d need to establish whether it has an HDMI-ARC connection