Answered

Problems setting Google assistant as voice control service on new Beam

• 20 August 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

TLDR - cant use google assistant as my integrated voice control on a sonos Beam as the assistant app fails to find them as devices - but they do show up in the google home app.

---------------

So, just purchased a Beam. The set up process did not go as smoothly as I had hoped and it took many attempts to get it connected to my WiFi network but eventually it all seemed to be working. I then initially connected it to my Alexa service and that worked fine. However, I decided to switch to google assistant (to avoid command conflicts with an echo that’s in the same room) and it fails to find the device in the assistant app. After many attempts i looked into the devices in the separate google Home app and 2 sonos devices were present (the speaker itself and once called TV control) and my account was linked. Indeed I was able to command  the beam from a google hub in a separate room, but the beam itself refused to accept google assistant commands and the sonos S2 app said it wasn't a linked service. 

Details / what I’ve already tried

• I’m in the uk using a UK bought BEAM soundbar - google assistant integration is listed as working in UK
  • Beam bar has been updated after install, all apps and phones are patched up to date.
  • Beam, phone and google hub are all on same WiFi network. I have also tried them on a different WiFi network and with beam directly connected to router via Ethernet cable.
  • I initially tried setup on S2 app on an iphone SE 2 but also tried on an android phone (samsung a10) but that didn’t work either. 
  • I tried removing the devices in google Home app and un-linking the sonos account in both google home and google assistant apps and retrying but again, it lets me link my account but the assistant fails to find any sonos devices (but the two sonos devices appear in the google home app after linking).
  • I’ve tried rebooting the Beam, the phones and my router and all the WiFi devices connected on the network have been turned off or disconnected. I also have two WiFi SSIDs (one directly connected to the hub, one a mesh WiFi network) and tried both. Also tried whilst the beam was directly connected to the router via an Ethernet cable.

Finally, as OTHER than the google assistant integration, all works fine… i can play music from the apps, control the volume of the sonos via my samsung tv remote and a HDMI arc port, use my echo show to control the sonos remotely, integrate alexa as a service on the sonos and even control it via my google hub in a separate room when the sonos account is linked via the google home app… but the beam simply refuses to let me use google assistant as the built in voice control assistant / the google assistant app on my phone fails to complete the set up processes because no devices have been found.

My guess is that google home and the assistant app are in conflict (i.e. linking the account brings them into google home so they are no longer new devices) but this is how google forces you to set up the google hub now and surely others would have this issue too?

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 19 January 2021, 21:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nicols.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

If after you have followed the steps in Setting up the Google Assistant with a voice-enabled Sonos product, but you are still experiencing the problem,

please start by submitting a diagnostic report from your Sonos app while this occurs and post the confirmation number here so that I can review your system that can help us identify what is causing this issue.

I’m looking forward to assisting you further from here.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.

I face exactly the same issue and I think I am glad not being the only one facing this issue. I’ve tried different configurations, from wifi to wired, and end up with the same result. I can control sonos device from a google nest but I can’t use sonos device as a google voice control, the sonos app doesn’t link to the google voice service, it always fails when google assistant tries to locate a new device. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @darko67.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

To check some data from your system, please send in a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how that goes.

Hello, diagnostic sent today with confirmation # 507028068. Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @darko67

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

If you have multiple controllers, try to use a different one to set up the voice assistant and see if the same issue will occur.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there are errors detected by the system. I recommend reaching out to Sonos Supportso we can take a closer look at this in real-time and expedite the process.

I suggest our phone team for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the controller to see what's going on.

​If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.