possible to turn off touch controls for only one speaker of a group???

• 22 June 2020
  • 7 replies

We have a group in the family room. It has a Beam, Sub, and two One’s. 

we also have a 19 month old son that loves to touch the top of the beam to pause the music… ALL THE TIME!!!  

Using the S2 Sonos app, it appears that the only option is to turn off touch controls for ALL speakers in the group. 

This is extremely annoying when using Alexa to play music and not being able to quickly adjust the volume. 

Is there any logical reason why touch controls cannot be turned off for only one speaker?  There must be a way… right? Please? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe Flexon can make a Beam Baby Gate!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi jgonzalez122.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

Here's how to disable touch controls using the Sonos app for iOS or Android:
>From the Settings tab, tap System and choose the product you wish to disable touch controls on.
>Tap "Touch Controls" to disable or re-enable touch controls on that product.

You can also check this article about Using touch controls on Sonos products.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I believe his question is when they are all paired together as one … only disabling a single of the speakers in that pairing.

Hi Annazel, 

Chris is correct. It appears, with the Sonos S2 app that the touch control setting affects all the paired speakers. 

We need to turn off touch control for only one of the speakers. Any ideas? future update? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jgonzales122.
Thanks for reaching us back.

Touch control can be configured per Sonos product and not applicable to speakers that are bonded or paired with another speaker(s) unless it is separated. 

But, you can still disable touch control of the Beam because technically,  it's the device impacted by that setting as it is the HT master.
The Sub and 2 Sonos One's that wad added as surround speakers are configured to work and communicate with the Beam.

We’ve streamlined the voice experience by disabling the microphones on any Sonos Ones used as surrounds in a Beam home theater setup.
This ensures that the Beam is the only device in the room to pick up your voice commands.

Can you tell me what specifically happens when you're using the Alexa service?

If there are other questions and concerns please let us know, the community is always here to help.

I am having a similar “issue” - more like a lack of functionality. My cat walks on the beam all the time, pausing, changing the volume, and even starting stuff up in the middle of the night. I would love to turn off touch controls solely on the beam, but maintain them on the ones.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @casery.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me check it for you.

Touch control can be configured per Sonos product and not applicable to speakers that are bonded or paired with another speaker(s) unless it is separated. 

You can choose the product/room you wish to disable touch controls like on your Sonos Beam. Thus, maintaining them on the Sonos Ones is possible if they are configured as separate speakers because if they are bonded to the Beam as surrounds in a home theater set up, they are configured to work and communicate with the Beam as the home theater master. The same goes if they are paired, they are configured to work together as one.

To disable touch controls:

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System and choose the product/room you wish to disable touch controls on.
  3. Tap Touch Controls to disable or enable touch controls on that product.

Let me know how that goes.