Poor sound quality from ARC + SUB

• 18 February 2023
  • 10 replies

I recentlly buyed Sonos ARC with SUB and to be honest sound quality can be compared to 150€ home cinema systems. I had before Sony DTR 1080 reciever with DALI SUB and speakers. Comparing to this setup is like day and night. I was expecting much more from SONOS for this amount of money. If there will be no update I’m allready thinking to go to other brand. SONOS please fix this as soon as possible.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If Sonos wanted to fix anything after your message, what would they need to look at? The statement “poor sound quality” does not really give any clues to what you are missing (and could be very personal).

Is the “Poor sound quality” mostly a cinema or stereo music issue? Soundbars image differently compared to discrete speakers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I added a gen 2 recently & then a sub mini, WOW what a difference,  think you need to check on certain things, can't believe you think it sounds like a €150 system. Good luck.

Badge +1

Typically, a standard receiver and stand-alone speakers will sound better than a Sonos Sub/Arc...but at what cost?

Your listed receiver sold for $600.00 when it came out 6 years ago and it would sell for $800-$1000 now. Without knowing the model numbers of your Dali set-up, you could possibly have $1000s in speakers. The Sonos Arc/Sub do have set-up considerations that can improve the sound vastly. Following some basic tenets (Sub in corner if possible, speaker to edge of stand if sitting on top of something, run Trueplay, etc.) may help you out.

Userlevel 7

@Greglic Are you playing 5.1 audio content? What audio format does the Sonos app display when playing 5.1 audio? Are you sure the audio settings on your TV are set to the optimal settings? Have you performed Trueplay tuning and adjusted the EQ settings?

I dont know If you can disanle 5.1 on spotify. Music play is terrible

Userlevel 7

The Arc isn’t known to be a great music speaker. And it doesn’t help that Spotify has mediocre audio quality. The Arc shines when playing 5.1 and Dolby Atmos audio. Try using a different music streaming service and testing TV shows and films with 5.1 and Dolby Atmos audio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Spotify is never 5.1….

Typically, a standard receiver and stand-alone speakers will sound better than a Sonos Sub/Arc...but at what cost?

Your listed receiver sold for $600.00 when it came out 6 years ago and it would sell for $800-$1000 now. Without knowing the model numbers of your Dali set-up, you could possibly have $1000s in speakers. The Sonos Arc/Sub do have set-up considerations that can improve the sound vastly. Following some basic tenets (Sub in corner if possible, speaker to edge of stand if sitting on top of something, run Trueplay, etc.) may help you out.

The Arc isn’t known to be a great music speaker. And it doesn’t help that Spotify has mediocre audio quality. The Arc shines when playing 5.1 and Dolby Atmos audio. Try using a different music streaming service and testing TV shows and films with 5.1 and Dolby Atmos audio.

Problem is music play. What do you think of sonos amp with Dali speakers. Whoud this improve music quality

How can I do that. Maybe try to play from tv source?