Playstation 5 (PS5) transcoding to Dolby Digital.

• 9 November 2020
  • 2 replies

If anyone is going to be an early PS5 adopter, please, please let us all know if it can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital like the Xbox can.  I’d love to get the disk version of the PS5 and get rid of my Xbox as I do not use it to play games, strictly for watching blurays and streaming services so I can get the proper sound out of it for my Sonos Beam etc…  But if it won’t support transcoding, I will keep my Xbox and just get the digital diskless edition.  Waiting til I have positive confirmation either way.

Thanks!

-JC

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hello JesseC,

Unfortunately, the PS5 does not have the option to transcode on the fly. I am a PS5 early adopter and was hoping for the PS5 to have this option but it does not. It has the same audio settings as the PS4. This means that the Xbox console and the discontinued bluray players such as samsungs can do this.  

Thanks!  Guess it’s gonna be the disk less version for me. At least I save a hundred bucks!