Answered

Playbase with 2 play 3s, is a sub needed?

• 7 June 2017
  • 4 replies

I recently bought a Playbase and
Hooked them up to 2 existing Play 3s for surround and they all sound fantastic, question is - would a sub make much off a difference? Room size is fairly large .
icon

Best answer by Kumar 8 June 2017, 03:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, but whether that is worth the price to be paid is a very subjective assessment that can be made only by you after listening to one. The way to do this is get one on a returnable basis if you can. But do so only if you have the budget for it because you will probably want what it does!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I will say that I was in a similar situation - debating whether or not I "needed" a sub in a larger sized living room with the Playbase. I was pleased with the performance without a Sub, but I found it to be a little bit lacking at full distance.

I purchased the Sub through the Verizon Rewards (which rumor is you can stack the current $100 discount on top of them), and after a few days I realized there was no going back. It made such a noticeable difference that I wouldn't imagine you not liking the decision.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
The best way to audition a Sub for movies is to watch movie trailers. They are short and give you great variation of sounds to provide a very quick assessment on the sound quality.
Watch out, the Sub will roar and captivate.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The best way to audition a Sub for movies is to watch movie trailers. They are short and give you great variation of sounds to provide a very quick assessment on the sound quality.
Watch out, the Sub will roar and captivate.

This is really good advice. A couple newer ones that will give you great variation of sounds are "The Accountant" and "Sing." I had some friends over a few weeks ago and we were watching previews to decide on a movie. One of my friends who has never listened to the 5.1 setup before made the comments of "wow, this sounds like were in the movie theater" and "now I know why they call it home theater" after we watched the "Sing" preview.