Answered

Playbase quiet

• 27 December 2017
  • 6 replies

I have had a playbase for 6 months working absolutely fine with a 7 year old Samsung, blue ray player and Apple TV. I have updated to an LG B7 OLED, Sony 4K blue ray player and a Apple TV 4K, however the playbase is really quiet and I am getting inconsistent performance. It seems to me like when it is receiving a 5.1 signal it is only playing the centre channel, I say this as it is outputting background and action sound, but dialogue is very quiet and I cannot hear it. If I switch the source to Stereo it seems to resolve the issue, but I cannot change the 4K player to a stereo signal.

If you can provide any advice that would be great, as I’m gutted it’s not working!
icon

Best answer by Keith N 18 July 2018, 22:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, alexwig. Welcome to the community. I'd like to see what exactly is happening with your PLAYBASE, would you mind running me a diagnostic whilst the issue is occurring, providing a confirmation number so that I can view the report? This way I can check what kind of signal the PLAYBASE is receiving. Do you perhaps have another device with an optical port that we can test with the PLAYBASE? Many thanks in advance.
Thanks Edward, I’ve submitted the report with the confirmation number 8340155. The tv was playing a 4K bluray set for 5.1 audio. No other device with an optical port I’m afraid. Look forward to hearing what you can find.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, Alexwig. No problem at all. In this particular diagnostic, the PLAYBASE was receiving a stereo signal. Very peculiar. I hate to shove you from pillar to post but I do think it'd be best to have you contact our support team directly. It's a bit difficult to identify the issue at the moment and I would like to see this resolved for you as soon as possible. Please give us a call, providing the Topic ID: 228993, the Post ID: 697229 and your Username. This way they can view the thread immediately and crack on with resolving the issue. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Hi Edward,

I’m also having a similar issue. I have a new LG OLED tv, connected to the Sonos playbase via optical. The Centre channel (dialogue) is quite low in the mix. The dialogue is often overwhelmed by the music and effects which I presume are mainly on front left and right.

I’ve used the dialogue boost button on the app, but that’s not sufficient.

Is there a way to boost the Centre channel?

Thanks.

PS we only have the playbase, no other speakers. Cheers
Same issue, I have a Playbar and the dialogue is way too quiet, even with boosted dialogue. I’m wondering if it’s the way OLEDs process the sound or the Playbar itself. I love it for music, but I’m constantly turning the volume up and down which is super annoying...especially since the lock screen volume doesn’t work on iPhone anymore. Any suggestions?
Hi everyone. There isn't a way to specifically boost the middle frequencies outside of using Speech Enhancement. Another angle that could help is turning on Night Mode. This will reduce the frequencies surrounding most dialogue which should flatten and allow for clearer sound at lower volumes.

If the problem persists after, it might be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. Alternatively, you might find a dialogue boost setting on your TV (depending on the model).