Question

PlayBase + Play:5?

• 9 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Love my new PlayBase! A 2 month old Play:5 is now sitting in the closet and I was wondering if: 1) it was possible to add the Play:5 to the media network so the PlayBase and Play:5 work together, and 2) would there be a noticeable difference?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Great! I am relatively new to Sonos; however, from what I've read, using a Play:5 as surround speakers would be a waste of it's potential. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sound better than not having a peripheral, just wouldn't be worth it. You can either put the Play:5 in a room by itself or sell it and buy 2 Play:1s for peripherals.

I was wondering how the sound of the PLAYBASE compared to the Play:5 in an A/B test for music?
Great! I am relatively new to Sonos; however, from what I've read, using a Play:5 as surround speakers would be a waste of it's potential. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll sound better than not having a peripheral, just wouldn't be worth it. You can either put the Play:5 in a room by itself or sell it and buy 2 Play:1s for peripherals.

I was wondering how the sound of the PLAYBASE compared to the Play:5 in an A/B test for music?

If you are selling the 5, I would possibly be interested if price is right!
A few points needing attention here....
1. You cannot add a single Sonos speaker as a surround speaker - there has to be two of the same type.
2. The Playbar and Play:5 can certainly be part of the same Sonos system - Sonos is a multiroom system. Wherever you locate them you can group them to play music in sync, or play different streams through the two. But when grouped they will not sync perfectly for TV sound.
3. Commercial activity on here is against Community rules.
Badge
Thanks for your reply, very helpful.
If you are selling the 5, I would possibly be interested if price is right!
A few points needing attention here....
1. You cannot add a single Sonos speaker as a surround speaker - there has to be two of the same type.
2. The Playbar and Play:5 can certainly be part of the same Sonos system - Sonos is a multiroom system. Wherever you locate them you can group them to play music in sync, or play different streams through the two. But when grouped they will not sync perfectly for TV sound.
3. Commercial activity on here is against Community rules.[/quote]

What would be your suggestion for an all around system?
I have a play 5 gen 2, but wanted a play base for a better TV experience. Would a playbase be able to connect with play 5 for a stereo L+R ? ... just for music
It seems that I would need another play 5 and a playbase for this? or would you recommend 2x play 1's with the playbase? as the play 5 is quite powerful on its own and am sure the 2 play 5's would be overwhelming.
Badge
Looks like I'm taking the Play:5 to eBay. 😕
Am i getting this wrong...2Xplay1s,sub and playbase(main room).Only can hear play1s when you go up close to listen!! I too want to add my play5(kitchen) with sub and playbase. CAN I? Got sonos alexa in bedroom. So is it possible to swap 2X play1s and get two more sonos alexa's to put in two other rooms (kitchen and dining)? Help. Anyone!!!!