Question

Playbase or Playbar?

• 11 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +4
Hello,

I am currently considering buying a soundbar for my living room TV, so I am thinking of getting the Sonos PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE to add to my existing Songs setup.

What are the key differences between the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE? And which would people recommend as being the better of the two?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Not a lot of difference besides the form factor. And I believe the Playbase has a small subwoofer built in. As far as which is better, it's going to depend on your setup desires. There's also rumor that the Playbase will support AirPlay 2 but the Playbar likely won't when the AirPlay 2 support launches.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Yes, the playbase has an extra small subwoofer in it. For my smaller size living room (260sqft), it puts out an impressive punch which is enough for me. And if it's not enough, you can always add the Sub to your system later.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/playbar-or-playbase-choose-your-fit/
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Go for the one that suits your set-up and looks better. Sound wise there is nothing in it, if anything the playbar sounds slightly deeper. I bought the playbase as i bought a new tv and needed it to sit on top and i moved the playbar to the bedroom. I have a sub with mine so no difference.I dont get the extra small subwoofer bit as i said the playbar has slightly more punch.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Additionally, for me at least, I didn’t want to wall mount my TV (not that it’s required to wall mount with the Playbar) and I preferred the look of the Sanus TV stand that’s designed for the Playbase. It’s a nice looking setup that gives the impression that the TV is floating above the Playbase.